Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard any rumors that Arctic Cat is getting rid of the diamond drive and going back to some type of chain case drive and will be offering carb as an option

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Carbs??? I don't think so, I don't think the trick is to go back in time and have worse emisions.

Chaincase...... maybe, who knows!

·
Registered
899 Posts
I agree. They must improve their EFI to make it cleaner and more efficient and have more offerings in 4-strokes. Due to the EPA and competition this is the way of the future. You cannot go back to old technology if the sport is to survive. They will probably continue to use older technology on their SnoPro race sleds, but they do not count against their EPA ratings and are only a small build #.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Carbs??? WTF maybe they will bring back the drum brake too...lol

The EFI is here to stay. Chaincase may make an appearance.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Look for answer to the RR Polaris....[/b]
The Answer? WTF do they need to answer? Polaris built a LIMITED production "RACER" model that is not setting the world on fire from a sales stand point...if they want to "ANSWER" something - try the XP, hell try the REV. Building a very specific "RACER" model is not going to put them back in the game from a sales stand point. They need to build a sled that appeases the masses - not the minority.

The number one sleds sales-wise are 600CC "TRAIL" sleds - any struggling company would be much better off going after this BULK market.

·
Registered
423 Posts
i would say that they need to have an answer for the Shift. great sled for a great price, it was a smart move by Polaris.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
The Answer? WTF do they need to answer? Polaris built a LIMITED production "RACER" model that is not setting the world on fire from a sales stand point...if they want to "ANSWER" something - try the XP, hell try the REV. Building a very specific "RACER" model is not going to put them back in the game from a sales stand point. They need to build a sled that appeases the masses - not the minority.

The number one sleds sales-wise are 600CC "TRAIL" sleds - any struggling company would be much better off going after this BULK market.[/b]

They have the best "Trail Sled" on the snow! Ride a Twin Spar, you would know this.

What they need to answer is the entry level sleds such as the TNT & Shift.

They still do need a light racer style 600 or 800. Maybe derived from the Sno-Pro??

Like it or not, Cat has always sold the best when they could say they have the lightest, fastest, best handling all out racer that is on the snow. That is what Cat Loyalists have always been drawn to.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
They have the best "Trail Sled" on the snow! Ride a Twin Spar, you would know this.

What they need to answer is the entry level sleds such as the TNT & Shift.

They still do need a light racer style 600 or 800. Maybe derived from the Sno-Pro??

Like it or not, Cat has always sold the best when they could say they have the lightest, fastest, best handling all out racer that is on the snow. That is what Cat Loyalists have always been drawn to.[/b]
I have ridden a twin spar (have not ridden an XP however), what I mean by "need to have an answer" is that they need to build a sled that can compete "SALES-WISE" with the XP (or even the previous generation REV). The F-Series is definitely not doing it.

I agree an entry level sled (not a 570F) would be nice -

I still disagree about the "racer-wannabe" - yes I would like to see one, but like I said, the market for "that" sled is not all that large - despite what the wannabe sno-crossers on this board would have you believe. Additional problem with "racer" sleds is the cost involved to build - premium shock packages, high dollar chassis mods, etc. make it difficult and expensive to produce - These costs are passed on to the consumer which is why they build a "limited" ammount.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Snow, and a lot of it, would help.

W/O the weather good for snowmobiling,all elese is irrelavent.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I have ridden a twin spar (have not ridden an XP however), what I mean by "need to have an answer" is that they need to build a sled that can compete "SALES-WISE" with the XP (or even the previous generation REV). The F-Series is definitely not doing it.

I agree an entry level sled (not a 570F) would be nice -

I still disagree about the "racer-wannabe" - yes I would like to see one, but like I said, the market for "that" sled is not all that large - despite what the wannabe sno-crossers on this board would have you believe. Additional problem with "racer" sleds is the cost involved to build - premium shock packages, high dollar chassis mods, etc. make it difficult and expensive to produce - These costs are passed on to the consumer which is why they build a "limited" ammount.[/b]

I guarantee you Cat sells more Sno-Pro version sleds the they do Standards & LXR's combined. So money isn't the problem.

I have ridden the XP and for trail riding it isn't close to the twin spar. It just doesn't have the ride or the light steering. It actually doesn't ride as good as the Rev it replaced in my opinion. It however is very light feeling and easy to throw around and in the powder it is ridiculous!!

Have you met Cat riders? We have always been a racer wannabe crowd. I know I have slowed down in the last year or two, but I was always that way till then as well. Give me the closest thing to the sled Tucker rides and I could care less what it costs. I will pay the extra to get all the tricked out go fast stuff!!

I guess it don't matter it will all be trivial in a few months then we will know what they have done for '09!

·
Lake Runner!
17,502 Posts
carbs?? i would find that very hard to beleive for all the reasons that were mentioned especially future emissions. as for the diamond drive, i can;t even see them getting rid of that. what would be the reason for them to scrap it and go back to chain?? there have been no problems with it since its introduction, and now that reverse comes at no extra weight cost, it is an awesome setup IMO. the only complaint over the years has been that it holds the sled back a bit, but listening to some of the speeds the f1000 guys are getting, it sounds like they got it figured out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I totally agree. Carbs are going back in time, and diamond drive is getting better. For full on race sleds both are better, because it is easier to make adjustments for different tracks and tempatures and such.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I totally agree. Carbs are going back in time, and diamond drive is getting better. For full on race sleds both are better, because it is easier to make adjustments for different tracks and tempatures and such.[/b]
Your right on the carbs. But saying the diamond drive is getting better is like saying if you put a grain of rice on a turd its taste better. IMO there will be a FR 600 and 800 EFI chain case. If you want a 1000 it will be the F 1000 DD with cruiser package where the sled should have been in the first place. But with the tight money you wont see to many changes in years to come from everyone

·
Registered
2019 ZR 9000 Ltd and 2020 Thundercat 9000
983 Posts
Your right on the carbs. But saying the diamond drive is getting better is like saying if you put a grain of rice on a turd its taste better. IMO there will be a FR 600 and 800 EFI chain case. If you want a 1000 it will be the F 1000 DD with cruiser package where the sled should have been in the first place. But with the tight money you wont see to many changes in years to come from everyone[/b]
What does FR stand for?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Definately no more carb sleds, come 2010 the emissions standards are even that more stringent. I believe the only current sleds that even currently meet 2010 emissions are the jag, yamaha's and the fst turbo. But 2010 is still a "fleet emissions avg." so they can still make some sleds that don't meet the std. Diamond drive is not going anywhere either, best reverse in the biz, and if you know how to clutch a sled DD rips, I wouldn't argue with a new secondary clutch though.
As far as answering the XP, there is nothing to answer, heck the 03F7 is the answer, just as fast, pretty much as light, just as durable, warmer ride. XP sales will take a dramatic hit next year I predict, that and the sled will gain some weight. Most of the Doo guys i associate with miss their old revs from a trail stand point. The XP is a horrible sled from a driver comfort point of view, its cold as hell, seat feels like it has 2 inches of padding, throttle pull is way to hard, and they are already starting to fall apart. If Doo doesn't come out with a more comfortable sled, the other 3 will gain marketshare. Loose 15-20lbs on the twin spar and it will be so far ahead of everything available, Cat needs to focus on emissions, as does doo and poo. I wouldn't expect much of a change as far as chassis's go.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Definately no more carb sleds, come 2010 the emissions standards are even that more stringent. I believe the only current sleds that even currently meet 2010 emissions are the jag, yamaha's and the fst turbo. But 2010 is still a "fleet emissions avg." so they can still make some sleds that don't meet the std. Diamond drive is not going anywhere either, best reverse in the biz, and if you know how to clutch a sled DD rips, I wouldn't argue with a new secondary clutch though.
As far as answering the XP, there is nothing to answer, heck the 03F7 is the answer, just as fast, pretty much as light, just as durable, warmer ride. XP sales will take a dramatic hit next year I predict, that and the sled will gain some weight. Most of the Doo guys i associate with miss their old revs from a trail stand point. The XP is a horrible sled from a driver comfort point of view, its cold as hell, seat feels like it has 2 inches of padding, throttle pull is way to hard, and they are already starting to fall apart. If Doo doesn't come out with a more comfortable sled, the other 3 will gain marketshare. Loose 15-20lbs on the twin spar and it will be so far ahead of everything available, Cat needs to focus on emissions, as does doo and poo. I wouldn't expect much of a change as far as chassis's go.[/b]
I agree 100%

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
As far as answering the XP, there is nothing to answer, heck the 03F7 is the answer, just as fast, pretty much as light, just as durable, warmer ride. XP sales will take a dramatic hit next year I predict, that and the sled will gain some weight. Most of the Doo guys i associate with miss their old revs from a trail stand point. The XP is a horrible sled from a driver comfort point of view, its cold as hell, seat feels like it has 2 inches of padding, throttle pull is way to hard, and they are already starting to fall apart. If Doo doesn't come out with a more comfortable sled, the other 3 will gain marketshare. Loose 15-20lbs on the twin spar and it will be so far ahead of everything available, Cat needs to focus on emissions, as does doo and poo. I wouldn't expect much of a change as far as chassis's go.[/b]
While I haven't ridden an XP I cannot agree nor disagree with your post, I will say that the F-series is not selling well, and you cannot buy an '03 FIRECAT any longer so I would say AC still needs to address an "ANSWER" to the XP/REV.

I don't care if you think that its all "perception" that the ski-doo is the best handling riding sled or not, AC has a LOT of catching up to do from a sales stand point...

I would love to see some detailed numbers broken down by model for each manufacturer - I wonder if that is available anywhere to the public - they do it for automobiles all the time. :dunno:

·
Lake Runner!
17,502 Posts
While I haven't ridden an XP I cannot agree nor disagree with your post, I will say that the F-series is not selling well, and you cannot buy an '03 FIRECAT any longer so I would say AC still needs to address an "ANSWER" to the XP/REV.

I don't care if you think that its all "perception" that the ski-doo is the best handling riding sled or not, AC has a LOT of catching up to do from a sales stand point...

I would love to see some detailed numbers broken down by model for each manufacturer - I wonder if that is available anywhere to the public - they do it for automobiles all the time. :dunno:[/b]

all cat has to do to have an "ANSWER" for the xp is shave a little weight of the current line. it would not need to be much, just enough to advertise and convince the people that test drive sleds by reading mags and participating on internet forums. it is all perception.

i was pretty much sold on the xp and still think it is a hell of a sled, and comparing it to an 03 f7 is hilarious IMO. i pretty much decided that it would be my next sled after logging a bunch of miles with one in the group. i cannot see getting rid of my f8 though, so damn smooth.

comparing the xp to an 03 f7???? in a straight line race....ok, maybe, but come on you guys cannot be serious?!?! you could not pay me enough to get me back on my firecat, and i think that most that used to have them would agree.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts