Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a cat guy and old sled guy lol so I know little about the new 800ho in my buddies rev. He told me he hit a rock with the left ski and the sled started running like crap. He said the idle went up alot higher and it ran badly. I met up with him in his garage with my comp tester and we got 140~ on one cyl and 120~ on the other cold. Both plugs looked about the same, the lower psi cyl didn't appear to have leaned (from the plug anyways) and the piston skirt with the intake removed looked alright. There's about 8000 KM on it right now so it's probably due for a ring change anyways but we were curious if anyone had any ideas on what might have happened? All cables looked good, bellypan was not dented, in fact it seems like the ski was the only thing hit by the rock but maybe the impact transferred up into the chassis and loosened\broke something else? He said it hit so hard it blew his light covers right off lol. Any ideas would be awesome.

PS Since we are most likely pulling the motor anyways where is the coolant drain plug? Does the belly pan have to be pulled to yank the engine? We noticed it was riveted in place. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
hhmm, sounds weird. the compression could be from the high milage depending on what year the motor is.

as for running bad after the fact sounds strang, almost like possably the can got a hole in it, or if the carbs havent been checked they will lossen up a tad and possably it hit so hard it bumped the carbs out? that is very strang tho.
also, be sure the motor mount is correct. if it hit that hard and snapped the mount the clutch could be twisted and causing drag or somthing.
weird. good luck

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hhmm, sounds weird. the compression could be from the high milage depending on what year the motor is.

as for running bad after the fact sounds strang, almost like possably the can got a hole in it, or if the carbs havent been checked they will lossen up a tad and possably it hit so hard it bumped the carbs out? that is very strang tho.
also, be sure the motor mount is correct. if it hit that hard and snapped the mount the clutch could be twisted and causing drag or somthing.
weird. good luck[/b]
Thanks for he reply, it definitely is an odd problem. The motor had some play in it, but no more than most engines with rubber motor mounts. Maybe it was just a co-incidence. Oh and I forgot to mention he said the check engine light started flashing too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check everything ... . (check the first 2 things)

1.Could be your unequal PSI Reading

When you did a compression check, Did you hold the throttle WOT (Wide open throttle)? This will give different variances in readings per cylinder. (if you have done it with WOT ans the PSI readings are still off, then try this ..... Take an oil squirt can, put 3 squirts in one clyinder, attach PSI Gauge, Pull 5 Times w/ WOT, Record PSI. Then repeat the Proccess on the other 2 cyls. If you #'s go up in PSI after adding oil and there all about the same PSI .... Means RINGS!

2. Could be your High Idle (just like a Vaccum leak in a car)
Check all Rubber Intake boots (before and after the carbs) check that the Reed cages (they attach to the cylinders) Bolts are tight (might even want to take the Reeds out and check that there are no broken or cracked Reeds)

I read in another Thread... Check the TPS (if its Fuel Injected/SDI) throttle Position sensor wires (the TPS should be on the end of the carbs) if this is bad OR a wire from the TPS wear through into the oil injection cable shorting out tripping the service engine light (this will cause it to run like crap)

Also Check the DSS Plug, if the Rider slid forward and messed up the key (DSS tether Cord key) these are know to fail or cause intermitted problems (causing anything from Not reving up, Kicking the Engine Light on, etc)

Check all Fuses

Unplug and replug back in all electrical connections (add Dielectric gease to connections "helps keep the Moisture out" (I pack the shit out of my trailer plug harnesses with it (Both Ends), Nothing like a corroded plug with no lights or turning signals or spending 20 minutes out in the freezing cold wigglin the shit out of it))

Battery (I dunno how hard you hit, But might want to load test the battery and make sure there are no broken plates in the battery causing a short in the battery and back feeding the electrical system)

look for dented bellypan, Might be some pinched wires under the motor, also look for melted or deformed wires

Computer grounds, (you state that there is a check engine light on) or it could be stuck in Limp mode (Limp mode makes cars run real shitty, Limp Mode plays with spark, timing and Fuel if its Fuel Injected)

Coolant (make sure its full, if its not full it'll send a bad reading to the computer either making it lean or Rich)

Exhaust (make sure when it hit the rock that the exhaust didn't take the hit either, Broken exhaust manifold, loose bolts, Missing springs, Collapsed exhaust outlet (under the sled)

Stator (its only held in place by a couple screws (and the stator is slotted (hence how they time sleds)) Not sure if the Impact would have taken toll on that (if not totally tightened tight) This one would be way out of the normal Happening, But could be possible.

I am just offering a list of stuff to check. These are the things that I would check. But I would Redo the Comp Test before Pulling the engine.

Good Luck! Keep us informed of your findings

1 - 5 of 5 Posts