Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
All the bushings in the front end will be getting worn out. Shocks like mentioned. The engine needs a complete overhaul unless already done including water pump bearings and seal. Good chance the water pump shaft is badly worn where the oil pump drives. Water pump belt when in there. Lower chance case bolt, I have had a couple break, and some come loose.
I have never had a big block polaris go much past 6000 miles on a crank. Usually by 5000 miles its time for a crank. Usually they failed and took a cylinder out with them.

The stainless exhaust valves on the 800 I hear came on some 2004's and all the 2005's. I cant confirm this but when you pull them if they are stainless there will be some fairly deep cut outs on the bottom of the valve to reduce the weight. The non stainless I'm told do not have that. Also when cleaning them you will not nick the stainless with a razor blade, the aluminum ones you will for sure nick or peel a piece off.

But honestly they are great sleds, I never really did any repairs outside of the motor until 7000-10000 miles on the sleds. And it was wear items at that point. Lots of sliders, carbides, bearings as expected through all the years. I changed some carb slides on one at over 8000 miles to stock the rattle. It still worked fine but annoying. My 700 and 800 lived their entire lives with a slp single, slp head.
Up in quebec i've seen dealers de-tune these xc sp 800 sleds to go 8,000 miles or better on an engine without any rebuilds. Thing is, they don't perform much better than a good running 600 ves small block.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Up in quebec i've seen dealers de-tune these xc sp 800 sleds to go 8,000 miles or better on an engine without any rebuilds. Thing is, they don't perform much better than a good running 600 ves small block.
I think the small block is just a tougher engine.
In all honesty I never found a difference in life depending on stock or mild mods on them. I think a lot of the crank issues could be my riding style. But as far as day to day reliable the big blocks have been stellar for me, same with the edge chassis. Its just that as the miles stack up everything wears out on them. My 700 had like 12 or 13000 miles when I sold it and it looked great still, and really did drive and ride just fine but it was at the tipping point of maintenance/repairs or just get rid of it. Motor was near time again to go in and do the crank, front end needed freshening up, shocks, track, bit of skid maintenance, ski's. But the guy that bought it knew and only rode a couple hundred miles a year. I talked to him a couple years later when he called for some info as he had a base gasket leaking. Said it ran great and drove great still and loved it still. It was a $1500 sled sale a couple years ago. It was worth more as parts but I didn't want the hassle or to take a decent machine out of service

If I could buy 2005 edge sleds again I would, a 500,600,700 and 800 in black.

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
I retire my first 05 anniversary 600 50th with nearly 9k miles all ridden in quebec. That sled had a rough life having the snot beat out it many of those miles. The 05 600 50th i'm using now has roughly 3,500 miles on it, about 2/3 of it were hard local miles till i suffered a stroke riding it one morning. I guess all fun things finally catch up. Sleds had an easy life for the last 9 years. I just fog every spring, and its gas and oil to go for next seasons use. Sleds bulletproof.

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
4,276 Posts
So if I can’t get proof that any of the work that you are all mentioning has been done I’m looking at about another 1500 - 2000 to get it done so I am better off buying a newer more reliable sled like a Yamaha Apex
if you can get verification of work done then let us know what's been done and see if the dealer can wiggle. The $4000 is crazy high IMO, then again here in Manitoba, the edge chassis is sought after and they hold their value due to ease of getting parts. Lots of people in Nunavut are probing the classifieds here specifically for the edge chassis and will have it flown into their towns.

If it was me, i'd throw them a solid $2800-$3000 and no more. To put the pricing into perspective, the 2012-2014 Pro R 600-800s here go anywhere from $4000-$6500. So, $4000 for a 2005 is nuts.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I retire my first 05 anniversary 600 50th with nearly 9k miles all ridden in quebec. That sled had a rough life having the snot beat out it many of those miles. The 05 600 50th i'm using now has roughly 3,500 miles on it, about 2/3 of it were hard local miles till i suffered a stroke riding it one morning. I guess all fun things finally catch up. Sleds had an easy life for the last 9 years. I just fog every spring, and its gas and oil to go for next seasons use. Sleds bulletproof.
Still have my 02 Edge X 600. 8000 miles. Never been apart. Bought it new. Still runs like new maybe even better🤷‍♂️ This is now my backup sled. Been bulletproof and runs very strong. Rountine things like bogies, track, shock rebuilds. Thats it. Never fouled a plug! I would still take that sled anywhere and not worry. Offered it to a friend when I bought my 15 Indy. He thought $2000 was too much for a sled with 7000 miles at the time. He’s talked about buying since, I told him not for sale anymore. He bought an 03 Doo Grand Touring that was NOT maintained at all for $1300. Thought it was a great deal. Intake boots were rotted in half when he got it. He didn’t even notice that! Good thing he stopped to show me the day he bought it. I told him one lap around his yard probably would have been his worst nightmare!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts