Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for all the 05 polaris 900 rmk owners. What is normal vs. high temp readings for these 900s? I have seen around 127-158 depending on snow condition. I shut it down when it gets around 160 to be safe.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch, but I would like to know what is the safe operating temp for these. I know the skidoo revs are 115-130 is normal, 130-150 is getting hot and 180 the light comes on which, well you guessed it. french toast.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Mine overheats constantly, brought it back to the dealer 3 times last year. I am going to try sratchers this year and hopefully try to remove the radiator. I havent heard anything bad about removing the radiator. Only good so far, I guess it is supposed to improve the coolant flow.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
either restricting the flow to the radiator or full removal helps alot, it forces the coolant through the rear exchangers.

On an RMK scratchers are mandatory. anything over 160 the ECM starts pulling timing and adding fuel which equates to less horsepower. it does this to save the engine from catastrohic failure.

My 900 Switchback hangs around 125-130 in most conditions, but will climb into the 140's in slow moving with little loose snow.

I am all stock BTW

·
Registered
45 Posts
I removed the rad and on trails where it was still kicking up snow id see 200+.As soon as I got into some loose stuff it came right down to 140. Im pretty sure Ive seen 240 when it would barrely drive. Scratchers fixed all that now Im around 150-165.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Between the temp and detonation sensors, the motor does a pretty good job trying to save itself from catastrophe. The only overheating issues that I have seen are due to sleds with no ice scratchers on the road. RMKs have to have 'em. Speaking of which, I better get them mounted up on my FST since I have a big track as well.

I have seen my fair share of wadded up scratchers from the sleds moving in reverse with the scratchers down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the temp really should not be going over 160. Up here we have little snow and it is usually hard.
I go out in -40C and it was still heating up to 200 on the trail. I had to install ice scratchers which helped some but the tunnel keeps getting iced up in front of the cooler which stops the snow from the track from hiting the cooler.
This year I installed teh SLP air vents in the belly pan. This has really helped a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.