Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at updating my wife's 1998 ZL500 with either a SaberCat 500 LX or a REV MXZ 500 SS RER with electric start.The new REV 500 SS seems like a great deal. It uses the old non HO cylinder reed Series III 600 engine. Does anybody know what the difference is between this engine, and the REV 600 HO engine?

Mike B)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I don't know the internal differances but the 600 H.O is about 12-15 hp up on the old regular 600. You are right though the 500 SS loks to be a super buy. it should be 105-108 hp

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Denny

Can't figure out what engine is in the Sabercat 500, only 80 hp? What's up with that?
Our 98 ZL 500 is spec'd at 96hp?
Don't know what to do!!!

SaberCat 500 or Rev MXZ 500 SS
:eek:
Don't have much time left!!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I don't know for sure but the 500 sabercat is supposed to be based off the old ZL550 piston port motor I THINK I really don't understand the reasoning behind that though. THe REV seems like a no brainer to me

·
Registered
978 Posts
its supposed to take the place of the 550 fan.... the motor was designed to keep the prices down, no apv oil (at least 10 dollar difference per gallon) and its cheaper to build without variable exaust...

how do the prices compare?
-dealer, not msrp...

·
Registered
60 Posts
My understanding of the 80 hp 500 s-cat engine is that it's a laydown just like the existing 500 but w/out exhaust valves & pipe temp sensor.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The 500ss (600 small block) will have close to 110 HP in the REV. The different airbox and pipe give it 2-4 more HP than in the ZX.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You asked what the difference was between the two Doo 600's, one is a big block the other a small block. The HO is built off the larger bottom end of the 800, this gave them a lot more crankcase volume to work with. The old (small block 600) has smaller bottom end, it is a snappier motor but does not have the long legs of the HO. These are two completely different feeling motors. The HO builds power as you wind it up and has great top end for a 600, it also is mild on the bottom and doesn't jerk you around all day. The old 600 hits with all its power right away and fades after you get above 70, it also is jumpy on the bottom. If you ride trials the HO is a more enjoyable motor, if you like rippin around in short spurts and jumping snow banks I think the old 600 is better.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Doo must have some of these old motors left in there crates, so they are going to call the 500ss and sell them that way..They don't want to call them 600, cuz they were slow, compared to the Cat and Pol 600's....Even @ 105 HP the Fire Cat and XC 5 should be in the same speed range.... :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm checking out the 500SS REV and the Sabercat 500LX and the REV with RER and electric start is about $150.00 CDN more than the Cat. As much as I'd like to get another Cat I think the Doo is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are reluctantly looking at the REV 500ss RER with Electric start. It has 599cc with about 110 hp. $100 cheaper MSRP, $8399 Cnd vs. $8499 for a Firecat 500 LX. As much as we wan to get another Cat, I thinkyou are right, the Doo is a no-brainer, way more bang for your buck!!!!!!
The CND MSRP on a REV 500SS with RER is $8499, and you get Electric Start free on the Spring Fever order.

Checking with the local Ski-Doo and Cat dealers for prices this weekend.
Would appreciate if anyone could post prices they are being quoted on these two sleds!

:huh:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YOU HAVE NO BRAIN IF YOU PICK A REV OVER A FIRECAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]
I agree 100 %, which leads me to this dilemma; the SaberCat 500 is not even close to being a FireCat 500. I don’t want to replace my Wife’s ZL 500 (which feels as strong as some 600cc sleds) with a slower sled.
When comparing the SaberCat 500 against a REV 500SS, on paper, it just seems like you are getting so much more for your money. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
mssmith buy her a T660. I know its more $$ She will have it for 10 years. You can buy new for yourself more often. I did! lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got a price of 8000.00 Cdn for the Sabercat 500LX and 8150.00 for the 500SS with trail suspension, RER, and electric start. The electric start is free for the spring promo. I've only checked with one dealer for each brand and I didn't get into any serious negotiating.

·
Registered
70 Posts
POO MAN I don't know what you are smoking but there is no way that an XC500 or F5 will run with the small block ski-doo. Been there, done that and have lots of time slips to prove it. :D

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Traded my 2002 Polaris 600 Classic in on a GSX 500 SS. To me the HP difference isn't a big factor, just want to be around 100 HP. I would have bought a 500 Classic 2 years ago if POO had the M-10 in it. I know one thing, if DOO can sell a 600 at 500 prices, then what I've thought all along is true and that is all these sleds are overpriced. But you got to play to play ;)

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I agree that the rev 500 ss is the clear winner in getting the best bang for the buck .

Jim !!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just could't do it! Purchase a REV 500ss that is!
My Wife and I decided to purchase the SaberCat 500 LX, over the REV 500 SS.
The Arctic Cat dealer that we do business with, gave us a great deal. He also offered us top trade in value on her 1998 ZL 500. I think that when my wife told our dealer that she was looking at purchasing a REV 500 SS, he really sweeten the deal. He probably knows he will more than make up any loss profits, in all the parts and accessories that he will continue to sell to us.
We really wish that we could have test drove a Ski-Doo REV, to help us make our dission.
My wife just found out that a girlfriend of hers purchased a 2003 REV 600 HO, so we will have to do the comparisons next winter.
Can’t wait for winter!

Mike & Sandra :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I compared the Sabercat 500 LX to the DOO 500SS RER and picked the DOO. I am a Cat guy but the HP and price were the sellers.
I bought a 2004 GSX 500SS with all the goodies that come with it for $6,450.

:p Can't wait to try it out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts