Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have owned both carb and efi i think carb really has better throttle response i know they say efi does but i dont think so i know efi is a hell of alot easer on the thumb though

·
Registered
629 Posts
EFI only way to go, this way if you are sitting at 1000' elavation at -25 degrees, it is correct. IF you are sitting at 7000' at 30 degrees you are right. Carbs, you be doing jetting changes for different riding conditions.

The only thing we need is aftermarket ECU programing and I am sure that will be occuring real soon.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Go with the EFI.....its not worth messing around with the carbs and buying after market items to do the same thing the EFI does already. No pipes...no reeds...no jets with EFI and you really get the same results and no aftermarket purchases. One of my riding buddies bought twin pipes, reeds, power breather, ported&polished,and 192 picks for his zr800cc over the summer because he wanted to beat my F7, which is bone stock except for 96 picks. He was pretty disappointed when I STILL beat him in 600'. He was out all that money(around 1000.00) and still lost to me!!! Plus, he melted a cylinder a few weeks ago on top of it!!Needless to say, he is ordering an F7 for next year with EFI!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
453 Posts
The only time carbs would have better throttle response is when you were jetted way to lean for the conditions. Now if you want to take that chance and jet lean, carbs are your only choice. But with EFI its automatic, no matter what the conditions, the throttle response will be the same. Think about those warm days and you dont wanna change jets, but the EFI sled you usually can smoke, smokes you! I have been there, not a firecat but thats how it works. Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
The only reason you should want carbs is if you want to do some extensive motor modification like porting or big boring to an F8. :) :) Also, the carb is $300 less and that makes a difference to some.

Cat S.

·
Registered
852 Posts
What about when sensors and the fuel pump start acting up - 30 bucks for a carb pump and like over 400 for a efi fuel pump - I think carbs are the way to go for a long lasting sled.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Originally posted by hotrodd@Feb 26 2003, 09:33 AM
What about when sensors and the fuel pump start acting up - 30 bucks for a carb pump and like over 400 for a efi fuel pump - I think carbs are the way to go for a long lasting sled.
That's what people said about EFI on cars back in the early 80s. The fuel pump in my IROC lasted 90k miles, and my GTA is at 140k miles and going strong. The fuel pump in my V6 camaro has over 165k miles.

Fuel pumps aren't exactly new technology, and just because it's in a sled doesn't mean that it's unreliable.

·
Registered
593 Posts
IF CARBS WERE BETTER THEY WOULD PUT THEM ON CARS AND TRUCKS. i DON'T THINK THERE IS A SINGLE NEW VEHICLE WITH A CARB. EFI ALL THE WAY

·
Registered
84 Posts
In the past I would have picked a carb over EFI anyday but the "new" EFI mapping on my F7 is incredible. If Cat sticks with this EFI, I'll never buy a carb again but if it get's "fat" like last years ZR, forget it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i think im gonna go with carbs, i like the price and the tunability (pipes), my dad's 01 800 runs great all around here in condidtions from -25 to 50 degree's, the only thin i dont really liek and i will miss from my zr6 efi will be the wicked easy throttle pull... im guessing the pull will be similar to the 800's

mabe i will go with the efi... i dont know!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've had carbs and haven't had much problems with them with 6,200 miles. 800 miles on a part time T-Cat and around 1000 on a different sled. Never had many problems or jetting problems with carbs, but those sleds were rode in about the same conditions (altitude), generally each year. However with Carbs since I wasn't racing and tuning, I didn't see a huge advantage. What I did notice was the sleds would run far better under some conditions and other times not very well because of different conditions.

My F7 EFI works probably as good as any carbed sled I had when the carbed sled was performing at it's peak condition. Perhaps once in 8,000 miles did my carbed sleds operate seemingly with more response than the EFI in it's poorest state. The EFI is way more consistant. Two weeks ago in bitter cold western UP conditions I watched about a half a dozen sleds not start after 6 or more pulls of the starter rope. Last week in St. Saint Marie Michigan (as usual) our EFI sleds started on the second pull. All year (except once) my EFI sled has started in less than three pulls, usually in two or one pull. Last weekend I saw a carbed F5 get pulled about 10 times before starting in St. Saint Marie.

I don't know if I'd ever go back to carbs again as I'm happy with the performance of the F7 and don't feel the need to do heavy mods for lake racing.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
174 Posts
First sled with EFI and I love it. Yes, there is a lot more to it than carbs, kind of intimidating. I really haven't heard of the batterless EFI failing and stranding anybody on the trail. I'm sure it has, but it seems you have a better chance of burning down your sled than the EFI screwing you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts