Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Originally posted by flmcut1@Aug 27 2005, 09:13 AM
looking to purchase 2003 zr 900  any prolbems that i should look for?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=849644
[/quote]
I assume you mean used. In this case. Keep in mind there ALOT of them that have been beat to no end out there. I have even found some selling them as STOCK, but find out with research that person sold or is selling all the RACE equipment separately because resale on a stock one is higher. So they beat the h*ll out of it, then put the origianl stuff back on to make it look presentable. Keep that in mind, thats why I threw in the towel on buying a used one.
Rumor has it they were the fastest of the 900 series destined for end of production this year.
Just watch for anything out of alignment. There is a reason for it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
You'll want to check the crankshaft. The huge torque these motors put out and lack of a torque stop from the factory caused them to blow belts at top end speeds and when this happened it usually takes the crank out of phase.
Power valves and proper function would be another to look at because the cables stretch....no bigee.
Last but not least if the recoil hasn't been changed and I was buying a used one I would get a brand new unit and replace it because if you pulled one of these monster over when it's -10 you realize the load put on the rope and recoil...............don't rebuild one buy a new one I speak from experience!
It's an awesome sled and the 03's are without a doubt the king of the ZR9's. :div20:

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
check the front skid shock for play(the bushings go in these very often)look closly at the belt gaurd for dings and pull the belt of and check the primary sheives for dings and cracks..this should tell you if a belt has been blown off the machine.Even if the machine has blown a belt doesnt mean the crank is out of phase..i blew a couple off mine and the Machine still hauled ass.clean the apv valves change the chain case oil and you should have a very good Sled. :div20:

·
Registered
262 Posts
here's my only problem with my 03 zr 900.i don't want to get rid of it.that's it.the sled has been trouble free for 4600 mile's.sure i did all the routine maintance,but it has been the best all around cat i ever owned. sled is sitting in the garage ready to go another season and i orderd a new sled???.sled is mint condition with vf-3,d&d breather,torque arm,mbrp trail,and a cpr clutch kit.shock's rebuilt (carver),powervalve's cleaned,clutches cleaned and inspected,all tran's bearing replaced.(and none were bad).chaincase fluid and chain changed.alll gas drained even carbs.ect,ect.never raced and a perfect find for someone looking for a 03.i'm asking 4300.00.which includes alot of extra's.if i left the sled alone and didn't service it,would of been cheaper.but there's ready to go and then there REALLY READY TO GO!!! no bullshit here.if uor wondering what the new sled is ?16 yr cat man going to sorry!!!yamaha apex er in red ....i still don't belive it but monday,labor day,in will be in my garage....that's sic...so i need the room.any taker's...i'll try a pic

·
Registered
247 Posts
thats a good price on that 03 zr 900 i have one and will never sell it it is the best sled i have ever had ,5000 miles and not a prob,

think snow !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I personally would not buy a used sled ,unless of course I knew excactly where it had been.You can keep a sled looking new for a long time.People unplug the speedo's ALOT,keep it mint and sell it as "used very little" or "wifes sled". Point being buy from someone you trust or bring someone who REALLY knows what they are looking at !!

·
Registered
262 Posts
slowgoer,no story's here.who ever buy's my sled can bring whoever they want and spend a week looking over and asking question's.what they'll find is a very well kept sled in mint condition that need's nothing...al

·
Registered
444 Posts
Originally posted by 03900bigiron@Aug 28 2005, 03:04 PM
here's my only problem with my 03 zr 900.i don't want to get rid of it.that's it.the sled has been trouble free for 4600 mile's.sure i did all the routine maintance,but it has been the best all around cat i ever owned. sled is sitting in the garage ready to go another season and i orderd a new sled???.sled is mint condition with vf-3,d&d breather,torque arm,mbrp trail,and a cpr clutch kit.shock's rebuilt (carver),powervalve's cleaned,clutches cleaned and inspected,all tran's bearing replaced.(and none were bad).chaincase fluid and chain changed.alll gas drained even carbs.ect,ect.never raced and a perfect find for someone looking for a 03.i'm asking 4300.00.which includes alot of extra's.if i left the sled alone and didn't service it,would of been cheaper.but there's ready to go and then there REALLY READY TO GO!!! no bullshit here.if uor wondering what  the new sled is ?16 yr cat man going to  sorry!!!yamaha apex er in red ....i still don't belive it but monday,labor day,in will be in my garage....that's sic...so i need the room.any taker's...i'll try a pic
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=850801
[/quote]
Good buy and good luck. I own an ZR900EFI 04 and rode an RX-1 last year.
Not my cup of tea. I ride out of ANDOVER in FEB every year. MAINE is great
etc for logging. Great riding.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Big iron I was not insinuating that u r full of it ,just pointing out there are alot of them out there that are not !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts