Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone out there tell me what I should be looking out for when buying a used 2003 ZR-900 I don't know anything about this model and I am interested in buying one and I am looking for problems that these sleds may have had. Any info would be appreciated,good or bad.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
How many miles on the machine ?
Ive seen here in Quebec 2003's with 7000 to 10000 miles without amy major problems.
Some guys say to shim the power valves i think theirs a guy selling them for 15 bucks on here.
The primary clutch tends to get tired after some high miles and i heard that the Y pipes start rusting out but if it was taking care of and painted it should be ok. Also the bolts on the suspension tend to wear out in a oval way .
The 2003 is claimed the fastest because of the chain case but only about 3 to 5 mph also i heard the 2003's dont ride as well as the 2004' and up Why i dont know ?
It will still out run and out handle most new machines, good luck !

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have an 03 ZR 800 Sno-Pro that I bought new and it has been a great sled. They do have some very little things to check out but this has been by far the best sled and most dependable sled I have every bought!

This is a list of items I would look for:

If it has many modifications, as if you can have the original parts. Also ask who did them and how long they have been done the sled. Mods are ok but I have also seen guys go to crazy and make sleds very temperamental for general trail riding and pump gas!!! IMO stock or very close to stock is the best way to buy a used sled.

Ask if the (APV’s) the power valves been shimmed? If not, pull them out and look down the valve channels in the cylinders. You are looking for signs or the valves coming into contact with the pistons. You may find damage to the rings or cracks in the skirts. If so, you will want to negotiate knowing you are in for a top rebuild.

Check compression. I would not only look for good compression but would also look for both cylinders to be within 10% of one another.

Look at the PTO side jack shaft bearing (just under the air intake box behind the secondary clutch) and the PTO side drive shaft (also behind the secondary clutch down by the speedometer cable) for evidence of frequent greasing. If these are greased often, they hold up awesomely. I just replaced mine at 5,000 miles and to be honest with ya, the bearing that came out were in perfect condition. The only reason I did the replacement was because I was doing a track swap. I grease mine about every other ride! Very easy to do!

Check the chain tensionor to see one if it has threads left. Loosen the jamb nut and see if you can turn it in more that a quarter or half turn. If so, question how often the chain case was serviced and adjusted??? If it is almost bottomed out, it needs a new chain or they have a different gearing in the sled!

Check brake pads and rotor.

Look over the primary clutch well for crack or damage. My original clutch went 4000 miles with no issues. I replaced it only because it did have 4G of hard miles on it and it was starting to show some sign of stress in the center.

Take a good look at the condition of the skid, wheels, and bearing in this area. Again look for evidence of grease on the zirks. Look for cracks in the rails. You may want to remove the nuts on the long bolts that go through the lower shock to check for egged out rails.

If the sled is studded, look at the coolers under the sled for repaired areas. Look at track condition.

Other than that, general sled condition will tell you the most about it! These are great sleds and generally pretty easy to service. I have over 5,000 miles on my Big Bore ZR and it is still my favorite sled to ride and I have rode lots of new iron, Cats and others!!!!

This sounds like alot but it really shouldn't take that long to run down these items. The bigest one would be pulling the power valves and that is only 6 screws per valve! Hope this was a help and good luck!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
The only thing i've ever had a problem with is the suspension rails oblonging. Just gotta keep up on tightening em very so often. And do the driveshaft bearings every couple seasons. Other than that AWESOME SLED. 03's in my opinion are the fastest and alot less bs with the chaincase. Definatly a good buy

·
Registered
221 Posts
The sled that I am interested in has 4500 miles on it and seems to be in good shape.[/b]

With 4500 miles on it you will want to take a look at the items I and the others have listed. These are great sleds and very worthy of going twice that in miles and then some however; in 4500 miles you will start to see some of the issues discussed above in all of our posted…….egged out rails, piston and power valve interference and so on. I would NOT be afraid of a ZR with those miles, you just want to keep you eyes open when purchasing! Like I said, my sled has over 5000 miles on it and the Big Bore ZR’s to date are still my favorite sleds on the snow!!!!

Oh ya, you may see some seat cover issues at the seam by the gas tank when you set on the sled. That seam gets streached out over time and opens up when you set on the sled. That is one of the main reasons I bought a new Boss seat for mine. :ylsuper:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I had a 2002.5. great sled other than normal wear and tear, no problems. My buddy had the 2003 snopro with the dimmer at the brake lever, no issues exept for the hand warmers.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Soft rear suspension. They squat 4'' just sitting on them.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Soft rear suspension. They squat 4'' just sitting on them.[/b]
Holy crap how much do u weight? I think it's time for some revalved shocks or big boy springs. ZR suspension is still one of the best out there. All i do is ditch bang and the only time i ever bottom out is when i land HARD. Just regular maintainence and the sled will last you and be virtually problem free for a long time.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Holy crap how much do u weight? I think it's time for some revalved shocks or big boy springs. ZR suspension is still one of the best out there. All i do is ditch bang and the only time i ever bottom out is when i land HARD. Just regular maintainence and the sled will last you and be virtually problem free for a long time.[/b]
I would have to agree also! My ZR suspension has been awesome. Some general tuning and maintenance but the stock suspension carries my 182 pound ass over the big hits and keeps on taking the abuse!!! I LOVE IT!!!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
4400 troublefree miles on my '03 so far and the only issue mine had the were the egged holes in the skid but it's no big deal to repair. This is the most fun sled I have ever owned and plan to ride it til there's nothing left. It is mostly stock aside from a clutch kit, big-boy springs, REVERSE (because I can!) and a couple of other creature comforts.

Look for a more-a-less stock sled with no visible damage on the belt shroud or side bellypan indicating a WOT belt blow. Souped-up sleds tend to run higher than the intended RPM range and consequently may blow the belts in that upper range and knock the crankshaft out of phaze.

Look for the items mentioned above and with a quick look you should know how the sled was cared for as beatings show. If she's been taken care of she'll take care of you.

What are they asking for the one that you are looking at?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts