Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there everyone!

i purchased a 2003 xc/sp 800and have had nothing but grief. It seems like one thing after another
the latest were the the primary clutch binding and not disengaging,$ a clutch rebuild fixed this problem

after the clutches were done the sled was so smooth, you could push it and it would roll like butter on a warm pan

drove it for the day it ran flawless.

decided to run sharbot lake to calabogie a good 200 k for the day.
get to calabogie, fuel up go over the sled and notice theres something hanging off the drive shaft. First thought was i lost a drive cog
further inspection i realize the bearing is toast.

i get it home tear it apart, thankfully it was only the speedo key and the bearing that needed replacing

but now i stuck with this problem after 40 mph theres is an horrible whine and a slight thump

how much track deflection should there be, i had 2-3 inches between the sliders and the track and now i tightened it so theres only an inch or so
is this to little ?

In the chain case is the same situation. How much deflection should the chain have?. (pre bearing) it had a noticable clunk from all the slack in the chain.
Now the cluck is gone but i fear theres to much tension on the chain

any help would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
hey there everyone!

i purchased a 2003 xc/sp 800and have had nothing but grief. It seems like one thing after another
the latest were the the primary clutch binding and not disengaging,$ a clutch rebuild fixed this problem

after the clutches were done the sled was so smooth, you could push it and it would roll like butter on a warm pan

drove it for the day it ran flawless.

decided to run sharbot lake to calabogie a good 200 k for the day.
get to calabogie, fuel up go over the sled and notice theres something hanging off the drive shaft. First thought was i lost a drive cog
further inspection i realize the bearing is toast.

i get it home tear it apart, thankfully it was only the speedo key and the bearing that needed replacing

but now i stuck with this problem after 40 mph theres is an horrible whine and a slight thump

how much track deflection should there be, i had 2-3 inches between the sliders and the track and now i tightened it so theres only an inch or so
is this to little ?

In the chain case is the same situation. How much deflection should the chain have?. (pre bearing) it had a noticable clunk from all the slack in the chain.
Now the cluck is gone but i fear theres to much tension on the chain
any help would be appreciated thanks[/b]
with your sled an the ground grab your brake rotor and rock it up and down if you have play the bolt with the jam nut that go into the chaincase 9/16 loosen nut and screw the bolt in with your fingers until it stops tighten jam nut and run it

·
Registered
69 Posts
Your owners manual describes the procedure to tension the chain. Basically, you turn the secondary clutch to take out the slack in the back side of the chain, apply the parking brake to hold it like that, then tighten the adjust as tight as you can with your fingers & back off 1/4 turn. Once done, if you removed the chaincase cover you'd find that you have about 1/4 - 3/8" deflection in the side of the chain opposite the adjuster.

Rob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so im looking around a 1/4 of deflection.

any idea on the track tension i have it set at 1.5" from the sliders

1 - 5 of 5 Posts