Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought a 2003 rx-1 with 2000kms on it. it is in excellent condition, it has the 2004 suspension upgrade on it along with a 1 and a quarter rip saw track with only 1000kms on the track, full skid plate and a couple other things like new flap, and lower windshield. i never drove the sled since we have no snow yet hopefully we''ll have a good winter but so far i notice that the seat is kinda low. is there any upgrade for this. also is there any things else that i should look for. i bought it at a dealer so the oil is changed fresh in it for the start of this year. i read that they like oil if they are run hard so i'll have to watch that. i hope this is the last sled i have to buy for a few years. i hear good things about them getting high mileage and no much maintenance.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah they have great service down there. that is the first thing that i bought down there probably won't be the last

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Its a very fast sled, just keep an eye on the rear suspension. The ProAction rear is known for breaking front w-arms and transfer rods.
Cap'n

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are they know for breaking them suspension parts even after mine has the 04 suspenion upgrade

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
if you really pound it and have the weight transfer set to full then it can break. its not like everyone makes it sound that every time you ride it one breaks. some people never break one in 10,000 miles. and yes, the 04 is the same as the others.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Originally posted by VForce_NS@Aug 27 2005, 05:35 PM
Are they know for breaking them suspension parts even after mine has the 04 suspenion upgrade
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=850086
[/quote]
Some claim that they will break no matter what you do. You can get aftermarket w-arms that are a little beefier than the stock ones.
Some people have broken their w-arms in as little as 2000 miles, whereas others have 10,000+ miles with no w-arm problems.
Just keep an eye on them. If you start to see them cracking, weld up some gussets and you are good to go.
Cap'n

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was also wondering about the rx-1 maybe heating up fast when snow is crusty or on ice because the heat exchangers are on the foot rails. i had the formula and the heat exchangers were under the tunnel and it use to heat up like crazy when it was crusty or on ice. Just wondering if anyone one had them heat up easy or what i know it will keep ice out of my foot holes with the heat exchangers under them.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Originally posted by VForce_NS@Sep 6 2005, 02:32 PM
i was also wondering about the rx-1 maybe heating up fast when snow is crusty or on ice because the heat exchangers are on the foot rails.  i had the formula and the heat exchangers were under the tunnel and it use to heat up like crazy when it was crusty or on ice.  Just wondering if anyone one had them heat up easy or what i know it will keep ice out of my foot holes with the heat exchangers under them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=862912
[/quote]
Yamaha has the heat exchanges on the running boards as well as the one towards the front of the tunnel and 2 small ones running front to back of the tunnel.
They have the most heat exchangers of any sled Ive ever seen.
Last winter when I demo rode that RX-1 it was about 50 degrees that day. The trail we rode on was literally mud in spots. We stopped for a minute (dont know why) and the high temp light came on. The instant we started moving again the high temp light went out. Keep in mind, that was on trails that were snirty (dirty snow) and the snirt was 90% dirt/20% snow.
I have no concerns about RXs overheating on in crusty conditions and for as long as Ive been on the 4-stroke side of Totallyamaha.com the only times you hear people complain about overheating is when they are roadriding where the road is completely devoid of snow.
Cap'n

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks i figured that it would take pretty low snow conditions to heat up a four stroke but just checking

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Originally posted by VForce_NS@Sep 6 2005, 08:38 PM
thanks i figured that it would take pretty low snow conditions to heat up a four stroke but just checking

thanks guys
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=863450
[/quote]
yamaha offers a rear heat exchanger kit. there was a service update bulletin. the part # is 8ET-RHECR-KT-00. hard snow you may have a problem but you will have a bigger problem with slide lubrication. the mountain riders have a solution. they are called snoscratchers. srings mount to the belly pan and dig into the trail and spray into the track. this elimanates both problems. western powersports distributers sells them.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Everyone has a different riding style....ride it for a while....if you have some concernsand want to make the suspension better....pm me and I wil help you out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok cool i will pm ya if i have any questions about my suspension after i get a couple of runs on it

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bender just came out with a bolt on mono shock kit for the pro action skid,if i presently owned a 03 or 04 i would be giving them a call for sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts