Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to get ready for the upcoming season and would like to improve the handling of my 2003 f5 Snopro. It has always felt a little tippy in the corners and feels as if it is pushing through corners. I have improved this a little by backing down the tension on the center shock and by increasing the preload on the fronts. It still doesn't handle like my zr chassis did. Should i tighten the limiter straps??
i have read about many people switching to SLP powder ski's with great results. I certainly don't mind doing that if it will help. Any tips or tricks that have helped people with similar findings would be appreciated.

Rob

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Yup, I will back that up. I tighten the limiter straps on mine and it seems to handle good. On the tight trails me brother can't keep up with his 02 ZR800.

Almost all of the riding I did last year, the trails had loose snow on them, so the skis wouldn't bite in real well. I'm afraid when the trails get hard pack that I'm going to have some bad inside ski lift. But, from what I'v seen so far, the handling is good.

Oh, I changed the carbides to some 6" dooleys.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I think there was only one hole left to make it tighter, so that's where I put it. I know some people have drilled holes past that.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
stock skis are junk!

you will probly wish u had bought some by now once you know what your missing... :doh:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Skis don't really help with the pitching in corners do they? I'm sure they bite better and hold the line, but roll is a suspention thing isn't it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Originally posted by upstatef5@Sep 26 2005, 02:10 PM
I have improved this a little by backing down the tension on the center shock and by increasing the preload on the fronts.<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=893541
[/quote]

You went the wrong way with your front shocks. :doh:

You need to lessen the preload on the front shocks, not increase it. You're looking for weight transfer to the front during cornering and a stiffer preload is just going to work against you in that manner.

Take the weight off of the front end somehow and loosen the preload adjusters until the spring is loose enough that it rattles, then tighten it just enough to get rid of the rattle, usually a turn or two. Don't worry, they're still stiff as hell in the bumps this way.

Do the same process with the front skid shock and spring. Also, tighten up your limiters one hole, and get a least 6" of carbide and it should vastly improve the handling from where you're at now. :div20:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Originally posted by 128JetSnake@Sep 26 2005, 11:42 PM
^^^^ tightening the ski shock springs will give you more ski pressure, not?

BTW, just got my new snow tech mag.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=894882
[/quote]

Loosening the preload really helped my sled. :dunno:

Early last season when I first got my Sno Pro the cornering was horrible at stock settings (like all SP's). I tried tightening the preload up front and the handling worsened. Came back home and did a lot of searching here and over at articchat and learned about the concept of loosening the front preload in order to both initiate weight transfer in the corners as well as lower the ride height for trail use. It wasn't my idea, just something that I read many guys talk about doing to help the cornering. It sure seemed like it made a world of difference on my sled on the next trip.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Originally posted by 128JetSnake@Sep 26 2005, 10:42 PM
^^^^ tightening the ski shock springs will give you more ski pressure, not?

BTW, just got my new snow tech mag.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=894882
[/quote]

Yes tighten for more ski pressure - Check your ski toe out also for better handling

As far as i am concerned you can wrench , switch , skis do whatever you want that thing will never corner like my old 2001 - 2002 Zr 500s did or any Zr sled those years for that matter - Trust me , you will get it better with tightening the limiter straps - Check your ski toe out + alignment + leave the front rear skid shock spring as loose as possible

However my 2005 Standard F5 is night and day difference compared to my 03s in the cornering , handling department - I would say the 05s handle as nice as any Zr sled period , honestly they are that good - I jump on my wife first , her sled second 2003 F5 and i hate the way it corners

·
Registered
203 Posts
I can't say from experience because I haven't had a F-cat, but I've read that a 4-wheel kit for the rear really helps a lot. I think the newer ones have it stock. I'm with Ten_39, I think loosening the front shock helps keep the front end down and lets the sled start to roll, helping the ski to bite the snow and not push. It also makes for a better ride. My ZR handles much better with the front shocks as loose as possible. There still plenty stiff for nailing the bumps at high speed. Either way it's an easy adjustment, try it both ways and see which way you like it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts