Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this in both the ZR/ZL general discussion and the tech. side because this probably gets more traffic..... Thanks!

Can someone who has an 02 ZR800 EFI take alook under the hood and tell me the positioning of the ignition coil that's mounted on the airbox? I had to remove mine and need help positioning it correctly. The following 3 questions will give me the info I need to mount it correctly....

1) Do the spark plug wires come out/point to the clutch side or the mag side?

2) The coil is smoother on 1 side that the other(1 side of the coil looks like the bottom of a boat with white writing on it)..... Which side is mounted toward the airbox, smoother side or side with white writing on it?

3) Which plug wire goes to the cluch side cylinder, the top or bottom wire out the side of the coil?

Thanks much!
-John

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
1. Clutch
2. White writing facing motor
3. Top Mag, Bottom Clutch

·
Registered
76 Posts
cdnzr800,

Are you sure your plug leads come out facing the PTO side?

My 02 800 is a carbed version (shouldn't matter) and they come out towards the MAG side. Other then that, I concure with the rest. :)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Mine is an efi and the wires coming out of the coil come out facing the secondary clutch and then wrap around to the corresponding spark plugs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I believed ya cdnzr800. ;) I just figured the Fuelies and the Carbed models would be the same in this regard. I guess not. Maybe is has something to do with fuelrail clearance or something.

I'll throw ya a pic of my 02 800 Carb. The coil is just the opposite of yours. Go figure! Btw.....cdn, I like the coated pipe/can. Looks great!

Sorry for the confusion JLeo.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blackwolf,

No problem at all. Actually, there were probably differences between all the sleds... from what I have learned, it makes no difference which wire goes to either cylinder. Top wire out of the coil can go to Mag side, or it can go to PTO side, and bottom wire out of the coil is the same....can go to either cylinder.
-John

·
Registered
30 Posts
Originally posted by JLeosnow@Jan 12 2003, 09:20 PM
I'm posting this in both the ZR/ZL general discussion and the tech. side because this probably gets more traffic..... Thanks!

Can someone who has an 02 ZR800 EFI take alook under the hood and tell me the positioning of the ignition coil that's mounted on the airbox? I had to remove mine and need help positioning it correctly. The following 3 questions will give me the info I need to mount it correctly....

1) Do the spark plug wires come out/point to the clutch side or the mag side?

2) The coil is smoother on 1 side that the other(1 side of the coil looks like the bottom of a boat with white writing on it)..... Which side is mounted toward the airbox, smoother side or side with white writing on it?

3) Which plug wire goes to the cluch side cylinder, the top or bottom wire out the side of the coil?

Thanks much!
-John
the caps do not matter artic uses single fire spark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts