Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of or experienced the following problem:

2002 Silverado Z71 Heavy duty trailer tow package

The problem-- The 15 amp fuse for the trailer running lights blows when I start down the road.

Thought it might be the trailer (19 ft Haulmark) V nose flattop -- had Haulmark tech
check out trailer, nothing wrong. He said I should use 20 amp fuse instead of 15 amp.

I explained to him that problem didn't start until I had about 900 miles on trailer, all
miles were with a 15 amp fuse. At any rate, I checked current draw and running lights
are drawing 5.97 amps. I then installed 20 amp fuse to make them happy and went
about 100 ft down the road and out went the lights. 20 amp fuse blew.

We then hooked up the trailer to a test cart and 20 amp fuse held. Next, we hooked up
to a 1996 F-150 and pulled it down the same road and after 5 miles NO BLOWN FUSE.

I then hooked back up to my Z71 and fuse blew instantly.

I have an appointment to take it into the dealer but in the meantime I'm going to
troubleshoot it myself.

I know there are many talented people on this site and my question is:

Has anyone heard of this problem and if so can you offer up a possible solution?

Thanks in advance. :) :)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip. That was going to be one of my first things to do. You know, the obvious, is it clean, is it plugged in, DOES IT HAVE GAS? :D :D :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think if the problem you were having was with a bad ground, the trailer lights wouldn't work. Sounds to me like you have a short somewhere. Could be that a hot wire is touching, or rubbed through somewhere. This would cause a short and blow your fuse.

If you are saying that you can sit idle and the fuse holds, but then when you start driving it blows, this could be the case. Hit a bump, trucks suspension flexs, wire rubs and boom, blown fuse.

The hard part is tracing the wire down.

I agree with MBrennan, start with where you connect and work your way back.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
I ran into a similar problem on a "99 "burb. Come to find out the trailer wiring harness contains a back up light lead. Rathe rthan buying an adapter, the owners brother-in-law spliced in a flat, 4 wire connector to the harness. He spliced the ground and back up lead together. The trailer lights worked fine until the vehicle was shifted into reverse. Of course this blew a fuse.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
My guess is that it is the plug on the back of the truck. We had a problem with a friends truck last year 2001 chevy. and that was it. He had to change the receptor on the truck??? It kind of sounds like You already have it narrowed down. I would go pickup one and try changing it. But who knows??? Good luck!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts