Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been snowmobiling hardcore for about 3 years now. I've snowmobiled longer than that, but not alot of miles until the last 3 years. I've had about 30 different sleds. (i kinda buy and sell them) So far I like the Yamaha Srx 700 the best. I have one right now and I love everything about it............except the suspension. I just got a smokin deal on an early 2002 model (no smartride) T-cat in showrooom condtion with around 2000 miles on it. I have been told by several people (mostly die hard arctic cat fans) that i should keep this sled and be done with buying sleds. I'm just wanting to know everything there is to know about these machines, good and bad, from some people who own them. I am not brand loyal (yet) I just go where the deals are

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Did you get this machine in New Brunswick? Fredericton maybe?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I have a 2001 ZRT 600

I think
Its to heavy
Not fast as people make them out to be (twins keep up)
Doesnt handle as good as a twin
Cant jump it at all
Horrible in the powder

I personaly think the only thing good about them is strait line drag races, and there ok in the trails, not good as a twin tho

If this says anything to you my ZRT is for sale

But every one has there own opinion about each sled, your gonna have to try it to see if you like it :div20:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Originally posted by Zert Man@Oct 12 2005, 08:34 PM
I have a 2001 ZRT 600

I think
Its to heavy
Not fast as people make them out to be (twins keep up)
Doesnt handle as good as a twin
Cant jump it at all
Horrible in the powder
I personaly think the only thing good about them is strait line drag races, and there ok in the trails, not good as a twin tho
If this says anything to you my ZRT is for sale
But every one has there own opinion about each sled, your gonna have to try it to see if you like it :div20:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=925785
[/quote]

too heavy?
Hmmmm ok well go buy a new yamahahahaha

Not fast as people make them out to be?
Obviously your sled is not set up correctly. Or youre compairing your 600cc against a 700 or 800cc twin.

Doesnt handle as good as a twin?
In what kind of riding? On a fairly smooth trail no fircat or srx will stick to a trail better then a zrt, yes if you're talking about ditch banging then you would be correct. But zrts were never made to be cross country racers.. :doh:

Cant jump at all?
Ya I will give you that one too. But again they were not made for JUMPING or cross country racing. Thats what the ZR's were made for :doh:

Horrible in powder?
I think maybe you need wider ski's. I have 2 ZRT's and both handle pretty good in the powder.

If you hate your zrt so much sell the thing and go buy a twin. I bet in a month you will be sorry you did. You will miss the triple. I ride every year with a group of different sleds, most of them SRX's and Polaris's The SRX's are 700cc and 2 of them are ported n piped and such and they cant even begin to keep up with the 2 zrt's in the group when you hit above 80ish. Sure from 40-75 or so they are right there... when they can keep their inside ski planted on the trail.. but above that they just dont have the legs to keep up.

Bottom line is if the sled is in really nice shape and you do not plan to ride it like an MXZ then you will be very happy. If fast pace trail riding is what you are looking for then they are wonderful. Keep in mind though that a triple is always more money to maintain. Cats are really expensive to rebuild and repair. Plus you will not get the 15mpg you get now with your yamaha.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, all i'm really looking to do is be fast on the groomed trails. The SRX corners like it's on rails. i don't need to slow down for corners, sometimes i speed up!!! That's the kind of sled i'm looking for. Gas mileage? If i was really concerned with gas mileage I wouldn't be riding snowmobiles or racing motocross. That just comes with the sports.
Another question i had about this sled was, what are the best bolt on parts you can buy to make it work the best in the trails? I'm mostly concerned with bottom end where it is such a heavy rig, but some mid and top would be alright as well

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by 3inaline@Oct 13 2005, 04:32 AM
Did you get this machine in New Brunswick? Fredericton maybe?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=925777
[/quote]

Yep. Just trying to figure out if I want to keep it or not. I was offered quite a bit more money than i bought it for (from you i'm guessing?) I'm just thinking, if the boys are offering me so much money for it, maybe it's worth keeping. Since you would know best, what are all the pros and cons of this sled?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Saying that the ZRT or TC:s are hard to handle is a lie. I've heard even from women that they think that they are easy to ride and even felt lighter than their ZR:s..
I would recommend a rider weight over 180 pounds though (women were lighter).

Fuel, well dial in a TC and ride hard with your ZR buddys and you will see that their sleds used more fuel than you. As said a loooong time ago "there's no replacement for displacement" ;)

Deep snow;

A guy I know were up ridin' in the mountains with his girlfriend and her buddys. Up that place it was "all Yamaha" and they made sure to get it said too.
One day they took their dear Yamy's to climb some steep mountains and used a lake to get the speed needed to reach the summit. -And got stuck...
This guy I know rode up with his -99 TC, dug it in into the mountain wall and helped the Yami guy lose. After that he fired his beast up rode sideways a few meters and then threw it around aming at the summit - and reached it!!
I've seen things be done with TC:s that never could be done with a twin, unless you ride a deep snow sled. It's all about power and floatation and this is where Arctic have set standards the last 15 years.

Right now they must have some problems at their engine department.. :doh:
But I'm sure they will be back! ;)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I own 99 T-CAT and its a great lake sled. I ride a ZR900EFI-04 on the
trails. Bought another ZR900EFI-05 this year. Weight counts and I want
as little as possible. The T-CAT and the SRX700 are heavy sleds as is
the RX-1 and the APEX. All weight over 630 lbs wet. Ride a light sled
and see the difference on the trails....Ron rides a RX-1 with trubo and
talks about how light his SRX700 was. I laught and tell him to ride a
light sled....Anybody who goes from a F7 or REV to a heavy sled like
a T-CAT OR YAMMIE will quickly realize why the tripples are gone....
We play in the power on 440 JAGs fans which are very light...
I rode the T-CAT over 4000 miles on trail in MICHIGAN and MAINE,

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you are looking for a trail machine and you sound like you are you would be more suited for a ZR or A rev, firecat etc. If you are looking for all out speed than even a ZR900 will not do. That sled has in it an engine that with little mods makes all twins short of major motor mods (1200cc) look vary sick. I have a little zr800 to play with for long hauls etc,but when the bulshit stops the T comes out. Again depends on what you are into. The trails are of no intrest to me, but going close to 130 at the end of last year down the lake.....cant be described!!!!!! :div20:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i guess what everyone's saying is, this sled isn't really good for groomed trail riding? that's where i do most running. we race up and down the lake a bit but not enough for me to have a sled designated for that. Mind you average speed on the trails is 80mph, that's why i need something that handles like it's on rails (ie: my srx)

·
Registered
489 Posts
The sled would be great for groomed trails. The Thundercat isn't going to be the sled for jumping or ditchbanging.

·
Registered
445 Posts
well dude i heard some true statments and some that that aren't.i ride a 98 t old body style and i can say without any hesitation that for groomed trail riding the boys will have a hard time to keep up.the sled is heavy but it sticks in the corners really well and when you nail it coming out.....well......lets just say a twin doesn't have a chance.you may be a little slower in the middle of the turn but she certainly makes up for it when you hit it at 50 mph.not a great rough trail sled...at the same time it does ok....but on anything flat i'd bet my money i could keep up with most at least till someone took the trees.keep the sled and try it.you can't beat the power.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah. i suppose i should at least try it before i make a rash decision

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
also, depends on what a "trail" is....if you ride groomed trails all the time GRAB THAT TCAT! if your riding chop all day long look for a zr9. I want a tcat bad.....they are the fastest thing on snow once setup....and, it still has the zr chasis so there is not much difference in handling....just a little extra weight up front which can be tuned out with the suspension......

I would grab it if I were you...will make your srx look like a old enticer with leaf spring front suspension.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Originally posted by Lucas29@Oct 13 2005, 03:01 PM
so i guess what everyone's saying is,  this sled isn't really good for groomed trail riding?  that's where i do most running.  we race up and down the lake a bit but not enough for me to have a sled designated for that.  Mind you average speed on the trails is 80mph,  that's why i need something that handles like it's on rails (ie: my srx)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=927420
[/quote]

Ok I will say this again.. it depends on teh trails your riding on. If they are fast high speed twisty trails you will be hard pressed to find a better trail sled. The ZRT's stick like glue to the trails, My fiancee took one ride on my 98 zrt800 and wanted one. SO I bought her a zrt600. She LOVED how much more stable it was then the Formula 500 that I was going to give her. She refused to ride the 500 because it was "tippy and too light" she LOVED how the big cat stuck to the trails.

BUT if what you want is a sled to jump and ditch running then the ZRT is NOT for you. They were not made for this kind of riding. Although I am going to put fox clickers on my 2000 zrt so it is a bit better when hitting horrible trails durring the day of riding.

When I am going riding and know the trails are bad I have a 98 Formula 500 that I have added fox clickers to it and I beat the shit out of that sled. I purchased a ZL800 EFI this year for riding when the trails are bad. I am in the process of finding shocks off from a ZR to beef that up a bit as well.

Bottom line is if you are looking for a great high speed trail sled for riding on trails that are not full of 3 foot deep holes... then the zrt will be awesome! And if you LOVE WARP SPEED you wont find a better sled out there.

·
Registered
444 Posts
On the trail weight counts and is why the tripples are gone.
Its a twin world on the trails. SOOO much easerer to throw
around the cornors and jump over the holes....
I have been trying to sell the T-CAT for two years already.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Originally posted by user2@Oct 16 2005, 06:38 AM
On the trail weight counts and is why the tripples are gone.
Its a twin world on the trails. SOOO much easerer to throw
around the cornors and jump over the holes....
I have been trying to sell the T-CAT for two years already.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=932605
[/quote]

You are nutz. Look at the new yamahahahahaha's they are as heavy as the ZRT's and people LOVE them. You obviously do not have nice trails to ride around where you ride. Or you never use the power of the triple cuz it must scare you? NO twin out there has the legs above 80ish to yank you back in the seat like a 800-1000cc cat triple! If you have been "trying" to sell a tcat for 2 years then you want too much money for it. They dont last a day if their priced right.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The trails i ride on are fast, wide, groomed trails. I don't do much ditch banging, and if i do, i've got other sleds for that. Like i said before. Where i live, everyone wants one of these sleds, i am told i can get big money for this machine. I just need a sled that i can be on the gas even going into corners because i ride pretty agressively and love passin my buddies in the turns! :banana: I just heard that this is the sled for this type of riding and that's why i bought it.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
:BSmeter: I smell somehting here. Why would a guy buy a sled, then go on a forum and ask OTHERS if he should keep it? :dunno: I'm just sayin', sounds a little off beat to me. If the guy bought this sled, wouldn't he AT LEAST want to put some miles on it first before considering selling it? Maybe it's just me.

FWIW, my Zert8 handled better than my friends' sleds, most of them being twins. When I let one of my friends ride it, they just couldn't believe how all they had to do was point and shoot in the turns. It definitely rode smoother (more weight) than my ZR does. If the trails stay relatively smooth, I prefer the big cat. If they tend to get rough, really rough, I'll take my ZR8. I have the ZR pulling just about as hard as the Zert does, so the big "power difference" is not an issue with me, but the stability difference and smoothness of the motors are.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts