Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found the solution to this common problem for the 2002 prox fan? At cold temperatures (below zero) the sled runs great, it can outrun many 500s, but when it gets up to above 10, the sled loads up when you stop and you have to get off and then give it some throttle until it gets going then jump on. I melted the exhaust side piston two years ago and so we put in both pistons new (which is a pain to get those race pistons). We set the jets to what it comes from the factory. Would it help to run 110+ gas in it? right now we're just using pump gas. and how much would it cost approx to convert it to a 600 liquid?

·
Registered
752 Posts
not knowing a lot about fan cooled motors(even tho i just bought a fan cooled sled) but wouldnt jetting help with that

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
The biggest issue with the '02 440 Fan was the CDI was improperly calibrated from the factory. Do you have any idea if your CDI was sent back to be remapped. There was a dealer bulletin on this back in the day. If your CDI has been remapped it may have a sticker on the back with the date of the remap and a code on it. You might be able to take your VIN to your dealer and have them check the vehicle history and see if it was remapped.

Once the CDI issue is sorted out a little bit of jetting is all it should need.

We used a tempaflow with some success on our '02 440 Fan but it was still somewhat temperamental with large temperature changes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no the cdi was never remapped.. i dont want to throw a lot of money into this sled as i am thinking about just getting a iqr.

·
Vendor
10,304 Posts
i had 2001 xcf 440 my son raced in sno-cross. ran great wide open. we tryed to trail ride sled [kept after racing for younger son to ride] thats when problems started.had c.d.i. reflashed. did jetting recall, tried tempa-flow,u.f.o.'s ect. it never ran right above 10 degrees below that it was a rocket. a year after i got rid of it a polaris sno-x tech. told me those sleds were only meant to idle and run wide open only.that problem was heat at low and mid throttle afecting stator out put.they didn't get fixed until 2003. so i'am guessing 2002 had same issue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah that would make sense because your situation sounds exactly like mine. it runs good when it is real cold, and it only likes to be wide open.. we've been fighting this sled for a good three years now so i think it is time to have it go down the road.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
For my '02 the CDI reflash fixed 60% of the problem The tempaflow fixed about 35% of the problem. Nothing we did made it run properly above 30f.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
seems like a normal 440 to me haha always very tempermental :laff:

·
Registered
752 Posts
you got one

1 - 10 of 10 Posts