Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 2002 edge x 800 121 with the m10 suspension... picking it up for my wife to come ride with us... we usually can see 2 to 3 feet of snow/powder on fields and more in the ditches... I'm kinda concerned the dinky lugs on the track aren't going to cut it as we all ride 144 -2inch tracks on our edges... I ride an 04 switchback 800 myself... should/can I stuff a 1 3/4 or even 2 inch 121 under it... or should I pop one of our spare 136 skids and go 1 3/4- 2 inch and run with that... Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
Imo, your only going to be able to fit a 1.5 lug at most in that sled if staying with the 121 m-10 skid. If your riding in 2'-3' of power off trail, it'd be a joke staying with a short track sled in those conditions. A 136 would be better, but challenging. I did a trip to mt valins one year to ride off trail, but we rented 800 long track ski-doo's. I wouldn't even attempt trying it on my 600 edge where we rode.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
136" skid with 1.5" - 1.75" paddle or 121" edge skid with 1.5" or 1.75" paddle (much bigger and trail becomes a problem I find, even 1.75" can be trouble when it gets hard and icy . I will impress if the trail isn't rock hard or ice and for what it is it will work good off trail. I will not work like the 144 mountain skid in your switchback off trail but it will still work good.

The bigger concern will be the low seat, low bars and wide stable sled not responding well off trail in the deep snow with a potentially inexperienced rider. That was always the issue with the edge sleds and my wife off trail. Lean as she may it just wouldn't do what she wanted. The big belly pan on them would keep them floating on the front and a bit of paddle out back and they would usually keep moving. (I live in the prairies so my deep snow will be a lot different than other places)

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
I remember riding in 18'' of fresh powder back in the day with my edge that has a 1.25 lug shockwave track. Lets just say after a couple miles i was never so glad to get back on the groomed trail. While i made progress in the fresh snow, the sled was very difficult to steer through the trees. Constant track spin didn't help either. I never had an issue with lower bars, especially after installing a 2'' articulating riser. Any snow deeper than that would be crazy to ride with a 121'' track on that sled even if able to fit a taller lug.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
136" skid with 1.5" - 1.75" paddle or 121" edge skid with 1.5" or 1.75" paddle (much bigger and trail becomes a problem I find, even 1.75" can be trouble when it gets hard and icy . I will impress if the trail isn't rock hard or ice and for what it is it will work good off trail. I will not work like the 144 mountain skid in your switchback off trail but it will still work good.

The bigger concern will be the low seat, low bars and wide stable sled not responding well off trail in the deep snow with a potentially inexperienced rider. That was always the issue with the edge sleds and my wife off trail. Lean as she may it just wouldn't do what she wanted. The big belly pan on them would keep them floating on the front and a bit of paddle out back and they would usually keep moving. (I live in the prairies so my deep snow will be a lot different than other places)
We live in alberta and our snow collects on the sides of fields and in the ditches... which is 75% of our riding.. I had a 03 prox 800 with a 136 2 inch and never had many issues with riding and going places with the other 144 edges... that's why I am leaning more towards dropping the 121 and going with a 136 skid and putting in a 1-3/4 or 2 inch track... I am just not sure what else for mods I will have to do to set it up to ride decent... I am betting redrill and remounting in new locations on the skid... the tunnel extended and maybe a cooler as well... just concerned with clearance issues...

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
We live in alberta and our snow collects on the sides of fields and in the ditches... which is 75% of our riding.. I had a 03 prox 800 with a 136 2 inch and never had many issues with riding and going places with the other 144 edges... that's why I am leaning more towards dropping the 121 and going with a 136 skid and putting in a 1-3/4 or 2 inch track... I am just not sure what else for mods I will have to do to set it up to ride decent... I am betting redrill and remounting in new locations on the skid... the tunnel extended and maybe a cooler as well... just concerned with clearance issues...
You might need to run smaller driveshaft drive sprockets if going to a 2'' track. A 136 skid will work, but imo, its not optimum if the snow is really that deep your plowing through.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
What part of Alberta? Sounds a lot like our riding her in Manitoba. Ours just turns to concrete from the wind.

I know 1-3/4 will fit with stock drivers because I have done it on a buddy's edge (2003)

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
What part of Alberta? Sounds a lot like our riding her in Manitoba. Ours just turns to concrete from the wind.

I know 1-3/4 will fit with stock drivers because I have done it on a buddy's edge (2003)
One of our guys claimed 1.5 lug was the most he could fit in his 04 prox 800 that used a 136'' edge skid, and it slightly rubbed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Central Alberta... Red deer to be exact...A buddy of mine lives 20 mins outside of town and from his place we can either rip on the river when it freezes or ride farmers fields for miles and miles with some ditch banging along the way..

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Central Alberta... Red deer to be exact...A buddy of mine lives 20 mins outside of town and from his place we can either rip on the river when it freezes or ride farmers fields for miles and miles with some ditch banging along the way..
I never considered that there could be much riding in that area to be honest. Not sure why, just assumed everyone went to the mountains or it never snowed much like southern Alberta. But stands to reason it could be really good there. Do the mountains have much effect dropping snow on you guys?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never considered that there could be much riding in that area to be honest. Not sure why, just assumed everyone went to the mountains or it never snowed much like southern Alberta. But stands to reason it could be really good there. Do the mountains have much effect dropping snow on you guys?
Yes they do.. the foothills are only like an hour to 2 hours away ... the storms and Chinooks blow through ... it's weird... minus 40 for a few weeks and then right up to 5 to 10 degrees above...

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can run 2" lugs in that sled without modification. The Edge bulkhead (driveshaft location) is essentially the same for the XC to the RMK. The part that matters is the space at the front heat exchanger and a 2" fits fine. If you commit to a 136" extension then I also advise that you trim 1/8th to 1/4" off the bottom of the transfer blocks as well (blocks on M-10 rear arm). A typical issue is the M-10 in trail (121") with a longer track will tend to plow in deeper snow and doesn't transfer weight back (or lighten the front end). I have done a bunch of custom tunnel jobs on old Edges with stock M-10's, it actually results in a very fun deeper snow but technical riding platform.

I also recommend this: Look at a parts list for a 2000 Edge XCF There's an aluminum block that they put behind the upper steering post mount.

This site says the parts aren't available, but maybe you can find through a Polaris Parts Dealer?

That's the part number. Get that and install it (need longer bolts) this 1" shim actually gets the bars out of your lap really well and doesn't require new cabling, etc.

if you feel like a little more work, the handlebars from that sled are also pretty nice on the Edge platform. They give a 1" rise, but they aren't like moto bars that get too wide to deal with.

HANDLE BAR,BLK
1820854-067

1 - 12 of 12 Posts