Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last winter I purchased a used 2002 500 XCSP. I had problems maintaining an idle and had no power past 4500 RPM. I toke the sled to the dealer to have the carbs checked. The dealer cleaned the carbs and replace one power valve to the tune of $330. When I brought the sled home, I still had no idle. I would have to hold the throttle the keep the sled running. I took the seld back and they opened the fuel screw on the carbs. They did this when is was about 45 degrees outside. I was not happy about that. They agreed to let me bring it back this winter for final adjustments.

This winter when I started the sled, I have idle, finally. Here is my new problem. After letting it warm up, I hit the throttle hard and them it boggs, backfires and then stalls. If I easy into the throttle, it will run fine. The dealer now tells me that the throttle position sensor is bad. Does this sound possible??? Can I fix this myself or should I spend another $300 ($129 for part and $127 for labor) to have the dealer replace the sensor?

Any insight is greatly appreciated...

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,209 Posts
What do you mean by a powervalve? No such thing by that name on a 500. Unplug the sensor and try reving it up. If it responds then I'd agree with him, but it doesn't seem likely. Running with the tps unhooked gives you full timing and won't hurt the motor as a test. I'd bet the carbs still need a good cleaning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave, Sorry I meant the exhaust valve. I will try unplugging the tps. I just picked it up from the dealer. When I was talking to the new mechanic, I ask him how the carbs were. He said that they we totally messed up. Completely out of factory specs. This seems strange to me, as I took it to the dealer to fix the carbs. The mechanic said he did a test on the tps and found that it is not functioning properly. I guess I just don't trust this dealer. The mechanic said that the tps should have a reading of .3 ohms at idle and 3.7 ohms at wide open throttle. Mine did not register at all. I will unplug and test. Thanks for your input. Another dealer said that I should check the reeds. Any thoughts????

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Sounds like it could be the reeds, could have one broken or chip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.