Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know anything about a 2001 ZR 800 piston recall? I came across something on the internet, but don't how real it is. Has anyone had any experience with this recall or does anyone know where I can get an offiical posting of this recall? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would it be to late? They should honor the recall if it hasn't been done on the snowmobile before. I thought that's why they need the serial number, etc. Do you have the info on it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
the recalls were set out shortly after sled was released and they only honered the recall while the sled was under warranty. im not sure on where to find info on this now except for your local dealer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I think the recall was about the piston ring pin that came out and screwed the cylinder. You should probably change your pistons now and get another brand, i had nothing but bad luck with artco pistons, ive seen alot of engines blown from this problem and they were not only from 2001. It seems that when you put back oem pistons from this problem it reappears later on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
i disagree only run oem pistons as everyone will tell you on here. i had over 1200 drag racing miles on my oem pistons with not one problem and they wrere fine when i changed them i was just doinf it to be safe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
As a cat mechanic and the owner of a 2001 800, I say put some wiseco's in it. The replacement pistons cat put out were bricks. I still have them new in the box. It was a clearance issue that caused the recall, and most problems were experienced in high alt. areas. I would still get them out soon no matter what any one says.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,141 Posts
Originally posted by Pat_09@Sep 12 2005, 08:23 PM
I think the recall was about the piston ring pin that came out and screwed the cylinder. You should probably change your pistons now and get another brand, i had nothing but bad luck with artco pistons, ive seen alot of engines blown from this problem and they were not only from 2001. It seems that when you put back oem pistons from this problem it reappears later on.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=871894
[/quote]

After 2001 the problem is not the OEM pistons but rather the APV's contacting the side, at least on the ZR800. We've shimmed the APV's out 20 thou. from the stock position and it's like a new engine at 5000 miles. Runs smooth as glass once the pistons stop hitting the APV each stroke (while they're closed). Eventually the APV would have grabbed the ring land and Kaboom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, this is all because I melted her down on the last trip last year. She went down when I was going about 20 MPH waiting for a buddy, so that was good. In pricing the piston kits, I came across the recall. I figured if it's free, I'd throw them in. I guess I'll be buy the Wiseco's like I first intended. Anybody have any good pricing for the psiton kit?

Here are some pics of the damage...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
Originally posted by slow800zr@Sep 12 2005, 08:28 PM
i disagree only run oem pistons as everyone will tell you on here. i had over 1200 drag racing miles on my oem pistons with not one problem and they wrere fine when i changed them i was just doinf it to be safe
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=871905
[/quote]

well said slow800, oem and only oem,,,,, wiseco sucks. I have seen more problems with wisecos then oem,,,,,,,,,hands down. 2001 800 piston recalled because skirts were cracking on those sleds used in the mountains, steeper hills =
harder working engines= more throttle= cracked skirts. Pistons were cracking not melting down.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,399 Posts
Originally posted by boingmotorsports@Sep 12 2005, 07:00 PM
Does anybody know anything about a 2001 ZR 800 piston recall? I came across something on the internet, but don't how real it is. Has anyone had any experience with this recall or does anyone know where I can get an offiical posting of this recall? Thanks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=871640
[/quote]


Go with the OEM pistons. Also do the 20 thou. shim on the power valves. Smooths that motor right out. Once you replace the pistons stop worrying about it. These ZR800's will flat out rock :augen41:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
my 2001 zr 800 was recalled. i wanna say the pistons were done out of warrenty or letter was mailed to me just within warrenty and i did job out of. i was first owner. the replacement pistons were beefier as i recall. i recall the skirt breaking as the issue?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by ZR800DITCHDOCKER@Sep 14 2005, 06:14 PM
Go with the OEM pistons. Also do the 20 thou. shim on the power valves. Smooths that motor right out. Once you replace the pistons stop worrying about it. These ZR800's will flat out rock :augen41:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=875242
[/quote]


Oh I know they rock! :div20: I can take Mach 1000's with mine. The bad thing is that Black Magic is almost out of business. :flush:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
Well, there was no "Recall" on ZR800 pistons. There was a volentery service bulliten that Arctic put out to alert customers and get them changed. A Recall is only issued if a company has a "Safety" issue with a product. Oh, go with the OEM pistons.

Auggie
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,035 Posts
Originally posted by Catmaster900@Sep 12 2005, 10:52 PM
As a cat mechanic and the owner of a 2001 800, I say put some wiseco's in it. The replacement pistons cat put out were bricks. I still have them new in the box.  It was a clearance issue that caused the recall, and most problems were experienced in high alt. areas. I would still get them out soon no matter what any one says.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=872224
[/quote]

Dont know where you got your info, but the problem was cracking skirts, and showed first in the mountains, as the engines are worked much harder there than the flat lands. As for wiseco's... they are ok, as long as you are postive they have enough clearence, and are very carefull about warming the sled up. Most sled people avoid them like the plague because of seizing problems.

Cat has a new policy limiting service bulletins to 1 yr from the date of issue.


Krom
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top