Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the APV cable adjustment specs for a 2001 ZL 600? I'm doing a service on one of these sleds and can't find the required length.

What a friggin' nightmare. The machine has just over 7100 miles on it and the owner was complaining of poor mileage and lazy performance past 1/4-3/8 throttle. Opened up the mag side APV cover and was not able to manoever the cap down and out of the way past the studs to loosen the retainer plate for the power valves. No biggie, just unhook the cable from the servo motor. Presto! With the cap out of the way, I undo the three bolts on the retainer plate and out come the valves, right...?

Yeah, after about 20 minutes of prying gently around the power valve housing! When the valves were close to coming out of their bores I had to put a 1"+ socket on top of the y-pipe so I had something to pry on to get them the rest of the way out. Little tricks you pick up I guess. Probably THE WORST set of power valves I have EVER seen! Plus, I ran my finger down the inside of the bores near the piston and you could feel all the carbon build up. A toothbrush and some Gunk brand carb cleaner fixed that up. After getting the valves all cleaned up, I reassembled the mag side APV system and all was well. Time to tackle the PTO side...

Same deal, not enough free length in the cable to rotate the cap away to get at the retainer plate screws. Removed cable from servo motor and resumed working. Got one of the screws out. The other two ARE STRIPPED! Fer F* sakes! Tried several different T-handle and allen screwdriver bits tapped into the screw heads until they bottom. With the slightest twist, you could see the bits slipping. I even tried heat, but to no avail. This is when I decided to go for the hail-Mary:

Got a *Torx* screwdriver bit one size too large to fit into the head of the cap head screw. Put that on the end of an adapter and a short 1/4" drive extention. Pounded that in until it bottomed. This is where the back-home people would be proud of me :smilielol: Using the same bit, adapter and 1/4" extention, I grabbed a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter. Then a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter. Got that rig hooked hooked up to the 1/4" extention. I then reached for my Ingersoll-Rand 3/4" impact gun... I looked over at my room-mate and told him that the second I push the trigger, I may owe the customer a cylinder :doh: With not a stitch of hesitation, zip zip zip... IT F*CKING CAME OUT!!! I repeated the same for the other stripped screw and it also worked flawlessly. What a feeling of triumph and relief!!! Same bullsh*t as the other side trying to get the power valves out. I actually broke one of the ears of the yoke trying to get them out. Nothing I could do about that.

After closer inspection, the two bolts that had stripped heads had locktite the whole way up the threads! I wonder why they were stripped... The other 4 that came out no problem had none. I personally do not use locktite on the retainer screws/bolts. I don't care what it says in the service manuals. Never had anyone come back with them loose. I get the same 30 (approx) sleds in for service or repair throughout the Winter. All Cats. Several with valves. No problems.

Now I just need the cable length and I can send this Kitty back to her owner.

Thanks,

-Twiggs

P.S. Don't use that fruity Arctic Cat oil. It just f*ck's everything up!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Boss! :div20:

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
btw You have to unhook the cables from the servo to get the APV cap enough length to clear the studs :cn:

Took me awhile to figure that out last summer when I 1st got the sled

the valves where clean to and slid right out no problem

Once you do them a couple of times they are quite easy to take out and put back together

My problem was the stupid cables frayed :( near the servo

·
Registered
105 Posts
Does anyone have the APV cable adjustment specs for a 2001 ZL 600? I'm doing a service on one of these sleds and can't find the required length.

What a friggin' nightmare. The machine has just over 7100 miles on it and the owner was complaining of poor mileage and lazy performance past 1/4-3/8 throttle. Opened up the mag side APV cover and was not able to manoever the cap down and out of the way past the studs to loosen the retainer plate for the power valves. No biggie, just unhook the cable from the servo motor. Presto! With the cap out of the way, I undo the three bolts on the retainer plate and out come the valves, right...?

Yeah, after about 20 minutes of prying gently around the power valve housing! When the valves were close to coming out of their bores I had to put a 1"+ socket on top of the y-pipe so I had something to pry on to get them the rest of the way out. Little tricks you pick up I guess. Probably THE WORST set of power valves I have EVER seen! Plus, I ran my finger down the inside of the bores near the piston and you could feel all the carbon build up. A toothbrush and some Gunk brand carb cleaner fixed that up. After getting the valves all cleaned up, I reassembled the mag side APV system and all was well. Time to tackle the PTO side...

Same deal, not enough free length in the cable to rotate the cap away to get at the retainer plate screws. Removed cable from servo motor and resumed working. Got one of the screws out. The other two ARE STRIPPED! Fer F* sakes! Tried several different T-handle and allen screwdriver bits tapped into the screw heads until they bottom. With the slightest twist, you could see the bits slipping. I even tried heat, but to no avail. This is when I decided to go for the hail-Mary:

Got a *Torx* screwdriver bit one size too large to fit into the head of the cap head screw. Put that on the end of an adapter and a short 1/4" drive extention. Pounded that in until it bottomed. This is where the back-home people would be proud of me :smilielol: Using the same bit, adapter and 1/4" extention, I grabbed a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter. Then a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter. Got that rig hooked hooked up to the 1/4" extention. I then reached for my Ingersoll-Rand 3/4" impact gun... I looked over at my room-mate and told him that the second I push the trigger, I may owe the customer a cylinder :doh: With not a stitch of hesitation, zip zip zip... IT F*CKING CAME OUT!!! I repeated the same for the other stripped screw and it also worked flawlessly. What a feeling of triumph and relief!!! Same bullsh*t as the other side trying to get the power valves out. I actually broke one of the ears of the yoke trying to get them out. Nothing I could do about that.

After closer inspection, the two bolts that had stripped heads had locktite the whole way up the threads! I wonder why they were stripped... The other 4 that came out no problem had none. I personally do not use locktite on the retainer screws/bolts. I don't care what it says in the service manuals. Never had anyone come back with them loose. I get the same 30 (approx) sleds in for service or repair throughout the Winter. All Cats. Several with valves. No problems.

Now I just need the cable length and I can send this Kitty back to her owner.

Thanks,

-Twiggs

P.S. Don't use that fruity Arctic Cat oil. It just f*ck's everything up![/b]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.