Hardcore Sledder banner

2001 yamaha venture 500 2 up

13K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  morkolo 
#1 ·
I am an absolute novice about snowmobiles. I know practically ZERO! I have been riding 3 & 4 wheelers for years while hunting and I have driven all types of Boats and motors but, I have never "hankered" for a snowmobile until this year when my 8 yr old granson is pushing me hard to get one for the boyh of us.
I am looking at a 2001 Venture 500 2 up for $1750 from a dealer. He claims this sled with reverse and E start is what I should have and he "sacrificing" this price to me as I have been a good customer.
What should I be looking for? I think the sppedometer milage window read 6668.0 if that is possible.
Thanks for any help in advance! thank the Lord for these web sites!!!!!
keith

#2 ·
that is an acceptable price for that sled
it is now 2008
so that sled is 8 years old ( some would say 7)

sleds drop in value quickly to $3500
then stay around $1500-2500 for years

that is a fair bit of milage
i would be looking at a motor rebuild some time soon
you may get lucky and get another 2or 3 thousand miles on it before a rebuild

some go over 20, 000
but most last between 5 and 10 thousand

that is a good size sled
enough power, decent ride, fair milage
not too big
i hope you enjoy many "ad ventures"

#3 ·
that is an acceptable price for that sled
it is now 2008
so that sled is 8 years old ( some would say 7)

sleds drop in value quickly to $3500
then stay around $1500-2500 for years

that is a fair bit of milage
i would be looking at a motor rebuild some time soon
you may get lucky and get another 2or 3 thousand miles on it before a rebuild

some go over 20, 000
but most last between 5 and 10 thousand

that is a good size sled
enough power, decent ride, fair milage
not too big
i hope you enjoy many "ad ventures"[/b]

#5 ·
I've never read anything of the poor gas mileage these machine's get or how rich they run. My brother has an '07 Venture XL and there's four other machine's at the house (93 Arctic Cat Jag 440, 94 Arctic Cat Cheetah 440, 2005 Polaris Trail RMK, and a 2005 Polaris RMK 600) and all of these get way better gas mileage. I know for sure that on a snow day I can be playing in the snow and my brother stays on the trail and I'll still beat him at the pump, which I shouldn't be able to even come close to doing at all. This is not brand bashing either, I've had 2 Yamaha's but this one's a real dissapointment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.