Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help and ideas I have a 2001 Indy 700 classic and it was losing spark last ride this season it has the duccati cdi/coil that is now obsolete and haven't had much luck finding any used ones,
Has anyone here ever heard of a alternative, such as using parts from a different year machine that are more available that will work with the wiring of my machine. Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Are you sure its the CDI and not the voltage regulator taking a dump? They were a known failure point in that generation and will make the motor skip/miss when they act up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well to be honest im not 100% sure the cdi/coil is bad, i was told they were a known problem thats why they only used them for a few years, the sled would run fine lights nice and bright when running, but it would shut off when riding at times sometimes start right back up other times it would take a long time before we got it restarted, all the testing i did was on the trail so i didnt get to detailed into it and of course ever since its been home it starts right up and tried to to as much trouble shooting as i can so i was looking for spare parts to try if it happens again so i can swap things around, and see if the problem goes away, just dont want to get stuck..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah doesn't sound like the regulator. The headlight will dim right out when it acts up if its grounding, or if it goes full voltage it blows all your light bulbs out.

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
The ignition system is separate from the lighting system. Only the lighting system uses a voltage regulator. Not likely to be the VR. I do have a spare 2001 CDI for a 600 if it would work in a pinch as a backup.

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
i just looked up a 600 and part number is different
Yes, but it can work in a pinch. My info says the CDI for a 600 is #2201724. 700 is 2201726. BTW, this doesn't look like Ducati stuff. Coil is separate from CDI. Coil is same part# 4016199 for both engines I believe.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Pick up a service manual to get the wiring diagrams if you are going to do that. In your year it also covers the 800LE Edge which should be close since the 700/800 are the same block. Gives you a side by side comparison.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah Im looking into it even some of the newer ignitions for that motor seem to be discontinued, seems like Polaris couldn"t make up there mind and kept changing them over the years.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So you got me looking since I still have my 2000 700 XCSP and turns out they are the same CDI (99 and older were Ducati but a different part #). There is one on EBAY but they want $350 for it.
I would think about looking for a cheap 00 or 01 sled as a parts machine.
The other problem with the newer ignitions from the Edge is they had the 2 postions on the key switch that changed ignition timing curves based on what fuel you were running. Would have to see how to rewire that in your sled to run what timing curve you want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks and I have been looking to see if I can find a parts sled, also been pricing to switch my whole ignition system over to the more popular style, cost would run me at the same as buying that used eBay one and I would have more options for spare parts over the Ducati one just trying now figure out if I would run into any problems with the wiring or the different timing curve

1 - 20 of 25 Posts