Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 600 classic. I have always turned off the gas shut off valve on it for yrs. I just recently filled it up with gas and did not shut the gas line off. came out 2 days later and it would not start. I see gas dripping from the exaust. I pull the exhaust pipe off to a gushing of about a gallon of gas. And see my tank has lost about 2 gallons over the 2 days? I noticed in the past yr it is running a little rich too. do I have a stuck float? or need new float seals? any suggestions appreciated.
thanks
happy sledding

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2001 600 classic. I have always turned off the gas shut off valve on it for yrs. I just recently filled it up with gas and did not shut the gas line off. came out 2 days later and it would not start. I see gas dripping from the exaust. I pull the exhaust pipe off to a gushing of about a gallon of gas. And see my tank has lost about 2 gallons over the 2 days? I noticed in the past yr it is running a little rich too. do I have a stuck float? or need new float seals? any suggestions appreciated.
thanks
happy sledding[/b]

thanks. any idea of where online to purchase. i called around they want 65.00 a side..? I was told its a kit, cannot get just the needle and seat. I find that hard to believe. At 130.00 i'll turn off the fuel line when i'm not driving it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I gave the carb's on my XLT a good cleaning along with wiping off the ends of the needle valves, and using q-tips on the needle seats in the fuel bowls, and it doesn't leak a drop or flood when I forget to turn the fuel off. Before you sink the money into replacing what you have, give the parts a good lookover. If the seats aren't nicked (might be easier to see with a magnifying glass) and the needle valves don't have a ring worn in them, they should be good to go with a cleaning. Sudco has parts if you don't want to go through a Polaris shop. Carl's cycle has online parts fiche with diagrams.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gave the carb's on my XLT a good cleaning along with wiping off the ends of the needle valves, and using q-tips on the needle seats in the fuel bowls, and it doesn't leak a drop or flood when I forget to turn the fuel off. Before you sink the money into replacing what you have, give the parts a good lookover. If the seats aren't nicked (might be easier to see with a magnifying glass) and the needle valves don't have a ring worn in them, they should be good to go with a cleaning. Sudco has parts if you don't want to go through a Polaris shop. Carl's cycle has online parts fiche with diagrams.[/b]

great thanks. its suppose to be 40 deg and rain here in Wisconsin.. so this will be my saturday project.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I might add that "mechanically" cleaning the parts is important. Just hosing the valve parts down with carb cleaner didn't do the trick in my case. Physically wiping the parts down with a rag and solvent did the trick.

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
One other thing to look at is the fuel pump. If the diaphragm has a pin hole in it, it will leak fuel through the pulse line and in to the bottom of the motor. Just pull the pulse line off the motor, the inside of the line should be dry.

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
thanks. any idea of where online to purchase. i called around they want 65.00 a side..? I was told its a kit, cannot get just the needle and seat. I find that hard to believe. At 130.00 i'll turn off the fuel line when i'm not driving it.[/b]
Looks like you are right! This is what I found.

LINK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts