Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would a 2000 ZR 700 be? Did cat get the 700 motor figured out in 2000? And what kinda power, and how much does one weight? And also, is this sled get very good gas mileage??? I'd be happy with 10 or 11 mpg, but would love more....

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
Yes the factory set up was far better than the '99 but they left lots of room for improvement. I did the following to both my '99 and 2000 ZR-700's with excellent results in increased performance and mileage topped out in the 10 mpg range.
-gutted air box
-Goodwyn clutch kit
-jetted down

Big bang for little bucks and dead nuts reliable.

Rick.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Its an older engine from the days of the Wildcat 700.

It is a Piston-Port Engine NOT Case-Reed.

Personally, I would recommend against it. The Stock HP on a ZR 700 is only 115 :(

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
No doubt its an old techno engine but it still performs very well and with most that know nothing about its potential talking them down so badly they can usually be picked up for a bargain basement price.
My 00 700 had over 7000 trouble free miles on it when sold, if Cat still offered it I would have gladly bought another.
Rick.

·
Registered
539 Posts
the 00 700 is a very good sled,it is called a piston reed motor or reed assisted piston port,due too its efficent bore to stroke combination it does still make decent hp and torque and gets pretty good fuel economy,very dependable also,like anything else,theres always room for improvment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 99 (with the 10.5 gal tank) and the ONLY thing I don't like is the fuel range. The MPG is between 7.5 to 9.1 depending on conditions. I added a tour buddy (2.5 gallons) to help. I have modded the airbox to be like the power breather + added a HeelClicker kit. Next season I plan to get some type of easy jetting device & an EGT.
The motor may be an old design, but is very reliable & has great torque. I have 3000 miles on it under conditions ranging from: wide open 105MPH field riding, brutal mogul pounding, to pulling a drag at 10MPH. This is a great sled. (I have done 0 repairs to it BTW)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Oh yeah its a good motor. I have a 99 and my brother has a 2000. I twin piped mine, he is basically stock. They need to be rejetted from factory specs. And a nice clutch kit really wakes them up. they vibrate at idle but the torque is awesome. they are great trail machines. In stock form they suck. milege is about 8. after rejetting we both get about 11 mpg and are equal to ski-doo 700 and the polaris 700 (both 2000) in drag races. very close. If you buy one , I will give you alot of tips on how to make it GO . the reed valve(yes I said reed valve-just one per side) is in the bottom of the cylinder. but dont let that scare you. they make great power and torque and to replace reeds its very cheap . I went with carbon tech and am very happy with them. .....email me for any info on the 700's . [email protected] ....tigger

·
Registered
282 Posts
I sold a 00 700 at the start of the season. I was able to put almost 8000 trouble free mile on it in 2 years. The motor is very torguey, it won't run with the other 7's on a long lake, but its great in the trails. I was getting around 9.5 miles to the gal. and using quit a bit of oil. Probably the most trouble free motor I have ever had.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts