Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
460 miles, so just broken in. Was taken the machine through some test runs, did 4 runs down a 700' path(fairly hard packed). Geared 22/40, with SLP improvements. Ported, heads, single pipes, V Force 3 and high flow airbox. For some reason the temp light came on after testing. Turned the machine off a couple hundred feet after light came on. Can smell something at this time so lifted the hood, no coolant.
I took the heads off & no sign of damage to the pistons or walls. Didn't take the blocks off to inspect further, is this necessary? What could have caused the machine to overheat. Could it be the base gasket or water pump?
Anxious to get back out there.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Is there a coolant leak?
If not, you probably didn't bleed the system properly. These cooling systems are difficult to bleed. There have been many posts on this subject. I tried raising the front of the sled off the ground about 2' and that seemed to help quite a bit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see a sign of coolant leakage. I didn't try starting it after if overheated. I'm trying to determine why all the coolant released, or the cause of the engine overheating.

·
Registered
17,215 Posts
As Quebec #1 says, check the water pump belt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts