Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a few questions regarding my new to me 2000 xc 700. i have been looking all over the forum and have found a lot of helpful information. although it has raised more questions.
i am new to working on snowmobiles but able to work on mechanical things.
currently i have an all stock sled. after storing it for the summer i found out my fuel pick up tube in the tank broke off so i then replaced all my fuel lines and rebuild my fuel pump.
i am interested in improving the stock clutch set up so i have ordered a Polaris round almond spring for the primary and 10-62 weights. i also was able to get a hotseat orange spring for the secondary. and am debating if i want a R-12 helix or 38X re-cut helix from speedworks. any recommendations!!?? i do about 50/50 riding trail and off trail and would like more snap from the sled. not that interested in top speed.
i am also curious if the carbs will need adjustments/tuning because of the clutch work? currently after replacing my fuel lines my sled starts but will not idle so i am planning on pulling the carbs to go over them and clean them out and would like to make adjustments to them if needed while they are out of the sled.
i do not a a service manual for the sled is there any adjustments i should make to the throttle cable to help with the slight play in it.
also i just recently bought a 02 edge skid that i am planning on swapping into the sled before riding this year.

·
Premium Member
18,043 Posts
i have a few questions regarding my new to me 2000 xc 700. i have been looking all over the forum and have found a lot of helpful information. although it has raised more questions.
currently i have an all stock sled. after storing it for the summer i found out my fuel pick up tube in the tank broke off so i then replaced all my fuel lines and rebuild my fuel pump.
i am interested in improving the stock clutch set up so i have ordered a Polaris round almond spring for the primary and 10-62 weights. i also was able to get a hotseat orange spring for the secondary. and am debating if i want a R-12 helix or 38X re-cut helix from speedworks. any recommendations!!?? i do about 50/50 riding trail and off trail and would like more snap from the sled. not that interested in top speed.
i am also curious if the carbs will need adjustments/tuning because of the clutch work? currently after replacing my fuel lines my sled starts but will not idle so i am planning on pulling the carbs to go over them and clean them out and would like to make adjustments to them if needed while they are out of the sled.
i do not a a service manual for the sled is there any adjustments i should make to the throttle cable to help with the slight play in it.

also i just recently bought a 02 edge skid that i am planning on swapping into the sled before riding this year.
If you have too much slack in the throttle cable it might be because the air gap is too wide at the throttle lever. This should be adjusted to .010-.020". This can cause not spark at idle if set too wide. Get a service manual.

·
Registered
43,571 Posts
If i remember once you got the jetting sorted out on the 00 700, it ran pretty good, which i can't recall...We used force reeds in those engines. I think i remember changing the needles for different ones from mob along with dropping the mains a size or two. Our guys ran 62 weights and an almond/gold polaris spring for the primary. An epi or hsp orange spring with an r12 in the driven, 2nd hole. For drag runs they used an epi purple with an hsp 38x helix...same primary setup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thank you for the input. i will track down a service manual and go over the throttle cable adjustments. as well as clean the carbs.

·
Banned
12,547 Posts
ok, thank you for the input. i will track down a service manual and go over the throttle cable adjustments. as well as clean the carbs.
Just buy new pilot instead of trying to clean them.Orifices are very small and prone to plugging or being restricted.

Reactions: too slow

·
Registered
43,571 Posts
Yeah, with keihin carbs those pilots can be a real pita to get perfectly clean. We use to chuck them and put in new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update** cleaned the carbs today and was able to clean the pilot jet's and now the sled is idling great. now on to just trying to figure out which helix to go with and get that installed.

·
Registered
43,571 Posts
update** cleaned the carbs today and was able to clean the pilot jet's and now the sled is idling great. now on to just trying to figure out which helix to go with and get that installed.
All depends what you want the sled setup for when choosing a helix. R12 works about as well any for general use. Using it with an epi orange (49/83) 2nd hole works well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i would like for the sled to have more out of the hole/ corners and be snappy/responsive. i have been seeing a lot of people going back and forth between the r12 and speedworks 38X but after looking around the r-12 is almost twice as expensive and the 38X

·
Registered
43,571 Posts
i would like for the sled to have more out of the hole/ corners and be snappy/responsive. i have been seeing a lot of people going back and forth between the r12 and speedworks 38X but after looking around the r-12 is almost twice as expensive and the 38X
Back in the day an R12 was always less expensive than hsp 38x...lots of R12's could be found compared to a 38x.
As for more out of the hole and turns with a stock sled, thats a gearing, and traction issue....or just get a sled with bigger coffee cans.

·
Registered
17,142 Posts
i do about 50/50 riding trail and off trail and would like more snap from the sled. not that interested in top speed.
Then I'd go for R12 or something similar, clutching will be more forgiving when playing off trail.

Fwiw, I had a formax 46-36 w/ EPI orange in my 99 xc700 , very snappy out of the corners , but with engagement raised to 4100 it was kinda prone to breaking traction in the looser stuff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts