Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking for a friend. We were one day into a four day trip & his sled died. He noticed it was making a "chattering" noise & pulled over. We both know all the general maintenace for our sleds, but not much beyond that. Another sledder stopped to see if he could help. After hearing it, he said right away it was a crank bearing going bad. We had pulled over on a county road that doubled as a trail for a ways. Cars also use the road so we needed to get it moved. As he pulled it around it seized. Has 3500 miles on it. On a side note, he's had alot of clutch trouble with it also. Is it a common deal with these? What's a realistic estimate for repairs? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
218 Posts
So has anyone actually taken this engine apart
to see if it is the crank? counterbalancer on this
engine is noisy and if you get coolant in there
it will wipe the bottom out quickly. expensive to do a complete
bottom up, IF any major damage was actually done. If
it was me the first thing I would ck is that balancer and it's
bearings, of course if it's a no brainer and bottom is gone
you may be better off buying a GOOD used engine..
depending on damage.

·
Registered
322 Posts
guarantee its the crank bearing on the clutch side. I've had a 2000 and a 2001 T-Cat do it. Starts off with a high pitch squeal, then el seizo.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
^^^^So when it seized, what needs to be replaced? Roughly how much $$.[/b]
I bet it's a broken skirt on a piston.I just had mine break and it makes a rattling noise but idled fine.It was completely quiet and instantly a rattle.PTO intake side skirt broke and broke the case. The skirt is no where to be found.It only run till I got it stoped.Just tiny little pieces everywhere.Now I need crank and rebuild.
I knew better than to run it this long but the pistons look PERFECT (and still do minus the skirt) with absolutely NO wear at all.I have 9100 miles and have never touched it.I was going to rebuild it this summer but was in a car accident and could not do it.I thought it just might be ok for one more ride but I was WRONG. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guarantee its the crank bearing on the clutch side. I've had a 2000 and a 2001 T-Cat do it. Starts off with a high pitch squeal, then el seizo.[/b]

Is that the bearing under the clutch you can grease??? <<<<It wasn't the bearing you could service, but it was a crank bearing...piece broke off & took out the cases, crank, counterbalancer & some other shit. Guess how much????? The rods & top end are fine-----$6,800...$5K in parts. WTF.

Sooo, he's done with it. Not even a used motor...done done. If anyone is interested pm me. He's not the type to part it out either...just wants it gone.

BTW, it's a 2001...I think I said 2000 first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I HAD MY CRANK GO ON 2000 TCAT. TOOK IT TO CENTRAL SNOWMOBILE IN GREEN BAY. THEY PUT A USED CASE ON IT AND REBUILT ENTIRE ENGINE 1800 BUCKS WITH A WARRANTEE. RAN IT ONE YEAR NOW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts