Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS- REPLACED STATER/ CDI BOX/ VOLTAGE REGULATER.I EVEN UNPLUGED THE SINGLE BLACK GROUND WIRE TO BY PASS ALL THE SWITCHES AND STILL STOPS, THE REAL KICKER IS I SOLD THIS SLED TO A GUY AND ALL THIS TROUBLE CAME WITH IT, NOW I AM TRYING TO MAKE GOOD FOR IT.HE HAS BIN REALLY GOOD ABOUT IT SO I AM REAL :dunno:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe that this an easy fix - sounds like the ignition coil - more often than not, when you have a sled that just dies, has to cool off, and then will start and run, it's the coil. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's what you should have tried first.

Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey, had the same problem with the wifes 700 classic last year. Runs 5-10 miles quits running like you hit the kill switch, then cranks but won't re-start. Let it sit 30 mins or so then it would run again. I replaced the stator assembly/magneto after swapping out all the other ignition parts with known good parts. The magneto cured the problem. There are ohm checks that can be done on the stator, look in the owners manual or online at the polaris website. On mine, the stator would ohm out fine, then when it quit, I re-checked it and it was out of spec. The magneto was about $250 last winter.

·
Banned
26,151 Posts
I believe that this an easy fix - sounds like the ignition coil - more often than not, when you have a sled that just dies, has to cool off, and then will start and run, it's the coil.[/b]
I had a Dodge Aries that did that.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Check the vacuum line from the fuel pump to the crankcase. If it is kinked the fuel pump will not pump fast enough to keep it running that long. Will idle fine but under load cannot pump enough fuel

·
Banned
26,151 Posts
Why did you give him a warantee anyways, its a used sled. You never know what else is about to shit out on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why did you give him a warantee anyways, its a used sled. You never know what else is about to shit out on it.[/b]
U KNOW WHAT--THE GUY BOUGHT THE SLED, PAID TOP $$$ FOR IT AND RODE AROUND 20 MILES, IN THAT 20 MILES IT WAS IN THE BACK OF HIS TRUCK AROUND 5 TIMES CAUSE IT PUKED ON HIM---I BOUGHT A SEA-DOO FROM A DEALER AND HE SHIT ON ME , FILLED ME UP WITH A BUNCH OF BULL AND RODE IT A BOUT 5 MILES AND IT DETINATED ON ME, I ASKED HIM FOR HELP AND HE SAID BUYER BE WARE!! THATS BULLSHIT-- I COULD SEE IF I RODE IT FOR 20HRS OR SOMTHING BUT NOT 5 MILES!! I AM THE TYPE OF GUY THAT IS FARE, I KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKED TO BE F#@KED AND I DONT LIKE IT, SO I DO NOT DO IT TO OTHER PEOPLE!!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I believe that this an easy fix - sounds like the ignition coil - more often than not, when you have a sled that just dies, has to cool off, and then will start and run, it's the coil. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's what you should have tried first.

Dave[/b]
no question thats what it is. exactly the same happened to my prox

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
did you check for spark when it dies ?,it would make trouble shooting a little easier knowing which direction to look,i would suspect the stator as those years did have a problem,[/b]
YES THAT IS THE FIRST THING I CHECKED FOR AND--NO SPARK-- I REPLACED THE STATOR THE CDI BOX AND THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR, THIS IS REALLY STARTING TO PISS ME OFF!!!

·
Banned
26,151 Posts
Wish there were more like you ricky d. I bought a mxz 700 and rode it for 15 miles before it melted on me because the oil pump wasnt installed correctly. Now I got $650 into it and gonna be spending more before its running again.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sounds like the coil to me too. My cousins 98 xc 600 did the same thing, and we looked at everything you did, but they were all good. Took it into a dealer and they replaced the coil and all is good again. The sled would run fine but when it would finally warm up to normal running temp it would shut-down, and then wouldnt start again til' it was cold.

edit: spelling

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like the coil to me too. My cousins 98 xc 600 did the same thing, and we looked at everything you did, but they were all good. Took it into a dealer and they replaced the coil and all is good again. The sled would run fine but when it would finally warm up to normal running temp it would shut-down, and then wouldnt start again til' it was cold.

edit: spelling[/b]
WOW!!! PUT A CDI BOX ON AND THE SAME THING , PUT A STATER ON AND THE SAME THING, GAVE IT TO A POLARIS MECHANIC FOR A COUPLE DAYS HE FINALY GOT IT TO QUITE ON HIM, HE TAPPED ON THE CDI BOX AND IT STARTED, WHILE IT WAS RUNNING HE TAPPED ON IT AGAIN AND IT STOPPED DID THAT A FEW TIMES AND EVERY TIME IT DID IT,YA-HOO FINALY FIGURED IT OUT FOR THIS GUY!!! DEFECTED CDI BOX- WHO WOULD OF THUNKED-IT!!! A EXPENSIVE LEARNING EXPEREINCE.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts