Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 mxz 700. It runs great and always starts. The lights went out and my room gauge doesnt work. I checked wires and fuses. Everything checks out but still no lights or rpm. Anybody have an idea? Could it be the stator?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Everything you mention as not working is on the lighting circuit. A short to ground in the taillight wiring or any wire that feeds from the lighting coils could cause everything to quit. I had a faulty electric face shield cord once that killed everything. It could also be a stator problem. Have you checked the stator resistances with an ohmmeter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tore the sled apart and took stator put. I ohmed tested it and everything was fine. I put it all back together and cleaned the voltage regulator and made sure it was getting good ground. I fired it up and lights worked for about 10 seconds and then nothing again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just ohmed tested the stator again and now it says O.L. could the stator have a bad spot in it? I'm confused at this point.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I would lean more towards an intermittent open where the external wires are connected to the coil windings. It's possible you have a cold solder joint in there. Have a close look or take a soldering iron and heat up any solder joints if you can see any.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a new stator coming in Tuesday. I will let you know if that fixes the problem! I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem on my 2002 700 Legend. Relay mounted near the fuses.
Easy fix, mine would work if I gave it a tap, now has been replacedp

·
Super Advanced Member
2,227 Posts
Sounds like an exposed electrial wire or piece of metal near the electrial/ or stator thats causing it to short out, had a buddy with a late 90's Polaris do that. The headlights would only work ok when he was on the throttle, was a pain to find. Ended up replacing a few things including some of the wiring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So after a new stator, new coil, still no spark. Tested the mpem and only 2 volts coming out of it. Its suppose to be 25v-100v. So now I need a new mpem? Do they just interchange?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m having a problem like that too no spark nothing but mines a 2003 mxz 800 with REr and dpm. Did you find the exact match or different? And did you have to have it programmed with the new mpem??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts