Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Was wondering what you would do if you had this condition:

Stock 2000 700 XC SP, SLP Boost Bottle, 7000 miles, Shocks rebuilt 1 years ago, annual maint. (slides, chaincase oil, clean, grease, antifreeze check, etc.)

1st, What major maintenance did I miss? I have been seeing some threads on Water pump belts, clutch rebuild...

2nd, What would you suggest to get some more performance out of this thing, it has a couple years on it and some decent mileage...

i.e.
- Clutch kit? Something that would be good for the occasional lake drag, but mostly trail and a little off trail riding..

- Carbs? Would you jet down and or change needles? Seems to me the stock settings are a bit fat and I could makes some gains here...

- Air Box mods?

- Pipe?

I am thinking of converting it to a 136" track with the rail extenstions next year... So keep that in mind as well...

What's your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for you help... :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
Based on my experience with my 2000 700 xc/sp that I still ride to this day!

Replace the water pump belt, Polaris suggests doing so every 2500 miles, yours is over do!! LOL No ifs, ands or butt's it needs to be replaced!

Shit can the boost bottle. You don't need it for this motor.

The SLP power Pac's, for the Keihin carbs, work wonders on this sled!

Get both clutches looked at, they are most likely worn pretty bad with 7000 + miles on them. They will most likely need to be rebuilt. If you do not know someone that can do this, I can give you a name to call to have them done.

There are a whole lot of clutch kit ideas on this site, pick one and try it.

Drop in a set of reeds, yours are most likely trashed by now.

While you have the carbs off, have someone THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING, look at your carbs, the Keihin's tend to wallow out the float pins, and when this happens, it makes getting them jetted right a royal pain in the ass. Damm near impossible to do. They can be fixed if they are a little sloppy, and there are a few threads on here that address just this very issue.

SLP single pipe, cheater head, and big air intake kit w/ two flow rites in the dash will do wonders to wake up the sled. The stock can on the 2000 is a heavy piece of shit, they really went overboard with the " quiet sound package" stuff that year!

Drop your stock gearing down a little bit, the stock ratio is a little too tall for trail riding, your sled will run better and be faster at the same time!

The power adders I have mentioned work great together as a proven combo! My sled will run right with or beat most similarly modded f-7's, MXZ-800's & SRX-700 triples if I did my part right. And was good for about 114 - 117 ( GPS ) if the conditions were right!

·
Registered
17,215 Posts
I addition to whats mentioned above, I'd put in R1371G needles, reeds from a 01 or later polaris.

I would also consider doing a top-end rebuild. Cheaper to replace pistons than replacing piston-jug+ possibly head and more later.
On my 99 XC, PTO side went down at 6500 miles, then one week later @ 7000 the mag side went. Had to replace or renic both cylinders. I'll never know for sure, but I think if I had put in a new mag piston when the first went, it would have saved me some $$.
Now has over 11000 on the sled.

For clutching, several combo's that work much, much better than stock. For a trail setup that also should work ok off-trail is stock 10-60 weights, Almond/gold spring, R12 50-36 helix , silver/blue secondary spring. Raising the engagement will make it trench more in deeper snow, so you'll have to decide for yourself whats most important.

One other thing to consider is swapping to an edge skid. Going to 136" is not a bad idea either if you like going off trail.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I agree with all the above. And the slp single pipe and clutch kit do wonders once its all dialed in. I used the slp high flow airbox kit (lid). I don't know it is any different than the big air intake kit. The boost bottle works on my 1999 non ves xc700.

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
The two intakes are the same, I just called it something else, as I could not remember what SLP called it! I was tired and it was late when I replied!

As for the clutching, there are so many combo's that work, and there have been so many threads about what combo to use, I just left it at look up a few threads and decide which one you want to try.

I kinda look at clutch kits like this...........

If you were to ask 10 different clutch guru's to come up with the ultimate clutch kit for just one sled, they will come back with 20 different combo's that would all get the required job done right!

Not saying that this is a bad thing, just different stokes for different folks, thats all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts