Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just talked to a friends Dad and said that his son and 4 of their friends went up to the Timmins area on Thursday.Seems 2 of the group somehow and somewheres went thru the ice on a lake.They were OK I heard but the sleds are still in the water.What a way to put a damper ( literally) on a trip. If and when I hear more, I will post where it happened.Lucky guys!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Could be the same two I heard about but it was not in Timmins it was on Lake Whanapitae just north of Sudbury. Heard they were coming in from Shinning Tree

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be the same two I heard about but it was not in Timmins it was on Lake Whanapitae just north of Sudbury. Heard they were coming in from Shinning Tree[/b]
CanadianLad- this was probably them as they were staying at the 3 bears Lodge in Shining Tree!! If I remember right the trail (when safe cuts across lake Whanapitae doesn't it? I havenet heard anymore since their cells don't work but wonder if they got the sleds out yet.1 of them was a BN 1000 FCAT!! Lucky as it ruined the trip Im sure for the others.They were staying until mid week. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
358 Posts
CanadianLad- this was probably them as they were staying at the 3 bears Lodge in Shining Tree!! If I remember right the trail (when safe cuts across lake Whanapitae doesn't it? I havenet heard anymore since their cells don't work but wonder if they got the sleds out yet.1 of them was a BN 1000 FCAT!! Lucky as it ruined the trip Im sure for the others.They were staying until mid week. Thanks for the info.[/b]

If these are the fellows that went down in Wanapetai... good luck in retrieving those sleds.
That is one very very deep lake.
Will take some specialized divers to get that job done.,,, depending on were they went thru anyway.
Hopw they are safe and not too worse for the ware.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I rode that section 2 years ago from Shinning tree to sudbury... AWESOME strech of trail!! But I don't remember crossing Wanapiti (however you spell it).... There must be a land based route around that we took, Or perhaps I was sleeping!!!

Anyways, Glad to hear they made it out ok!! They are very lucky...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya you must have taken the west side of the lake trail trail 62 and 72 on the map here

I just checked and the lake is 466feet deep at its deepest (yes FOUR HUNDRED)[/b]
Hey Freeze- thanks for the info! Yup 1 deep lake! I posted on another forum that 1 of the guys Mom called him and said they were on the way home today---MINUS THE 2 SLEDS!! Seems for some reason or another ( we canprobably figure that one out) the sleds couldn't be retreived! She said he said it may take a salvage company and perhaps a HELICOPTER and diver to get them! ONE EXPENSIVE RIDE!! They were lucky to get out and back to the Sportsmans Lodge as it was -30 friday night.The article someone sent me today said that charges may be pending?? Would this be from the OPP or the MNR? Will keep you all posted on how it turns out.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Hey Freeze- thanks for the info! Yup 1 deep lake! I posted on another forum that 1 of the guys Mom called him and said they were on the way home today---MINUS THE 2 SLEDS!! Seems for some reason or another ( we canprobably figure that one out) the sleds couldn't be retreived! She said he said it may take a salvage company and perhaps a HELICOPTER and diver to get them! ONE EXPENSIVE RIDE!! They were lucky to get out and back to the Sportsmans Lodge as it was -30 friday night.The article someone sent me today said that charges may be pending?? Would this be from the OPP or the MNR? Will keep you all posted on how it turns out.[/b]

Man thank God they got out and everyone did things just right, at -30 there isn't much time for panic mistakes when your wet.

G

·
Two snowmobile operators reportedly went through the ice on Lake Wahnapitae on Friday.

Greater Sudbury Police received a report that both operators managed to escape any danger and made their way to the Sportsman Lodge on Kukagami Lake Road.

Police don't know the identity of the snowmobile operators other than they are American citizens. No injuries were reported.

Police remind snowmobile enthusiasts that trails are closed due to poor conditions. The Sudbury Trail Plan Association posted signs warning trails are closed and lakes are unsafe for travel.

From the Sudbury Star

·
Registered
373 Posts
Two snowmobile operators reportedly went through the ice on Lake Wahnapitae on Friday.

Greater Sudbury Police received a report that both operators managed to escape any danger and made their way to the Sportsman Lodge on Kukagami Lake Road.

Police don't know the identity of the snowmobile operators other than they are American citizens. No injuries were reported.

Police remind snowmobile enthusiasts that trails are closed due to poor conditions. The Sudbury Trail Plan Association posted signs warning trails are closed and lakes are unsafe for travel.

From the Sudbury Star[/b]
where these guys rideing machs,i think i saw them up in timmins,they where older guys from the states

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
where these guys rideing machs,i think i saw them up in timmins,they where older guys from the states[/b]
No they were on a couple BN F1000 Cats and a couple REVS.All were younger guys in their 30's.I am sure their plans were to go to Timmins at some point in their trip but they arrived on Thursday nite and the lake incident happened on Friday sometime and they came home last nite.The rest of the time I think they did local rides if at all!

·
Registered
247 Posts
who in there right mind would cross Wanahpetei this time of the year especially after last weeks warm spell

Glad to see they made it out

They must have gotten bad advice before they attempted to cross[/b]
I was there before the warm spell and it wasn't even frozen across, I posted pics on here somewhere, it's f***en cold out there now so it should be frozen over this AM lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts