Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up a 2020 Assault with 402 miles. It has the 2” series 4 track. If I was ordering new from factory I would have gotten the 1.35” and studded but the deal was way to good to pass on.

So my question is if riding in average trail conditions how will the 2” track stand up?

I know it’s not ideal but I don’t really want to spend another $1200 to 1500on a track, studs and install in this economy.
I am installing scratchers for when required and would have for other track also.

I rode last season on my Titan XC with 1.8 Cobra track and no scratchers and had no hifax issues. I did add the low snow kit later in season but never really needed it.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
While not a Polaris I will chime in here. Last winter I purchased a 2020 Backcountry 154 with 2" track. When the trails are soft its a fun track no doubt however what I found was in our area Northern Ontario / Norther Quebec that our trails are usually groomed very firm and very setup. Most days when running fresh groomed trails the 2.0" track does not penetrate at all but sits on top and floats. This would make the sled feel like it was basically an unstudded track slipping and spinning on ice. It was not enjoyable at all to ride on the trails. This was the doo powdermax 2.0.

I have a second backcountry 146 with a 1.75" hurricane track which is amazing on the trail and works very very well. I would say it actually has more traction in the deeper snow than the 2.0 as well. The hurricane is a very aggressive track that digs into the trails and throws chunks!

I also had to run Dupont sliders and ice scratchers ALL winter unless the snow ware powdery and fresh it would overheat on anything groomed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I ran the 2.0 on trails for almost 2k kms this winter with scratchers and it was fine.
Not the greatest hookup when trails were hard packed but good on freshly groomed or soft trails.
Breaking is acceptable on trails also.

I needed the scratchers a few times though, but with them down there was no over-heating issues.
Very acceptable overall on trails, and great off trails.

·
Administrator
24,704 Posts
If you’re a studded track trail rider swap it out, you won’t like it.

Also, the sled will be geared down for the 2” track and the Series 4 isn’t well known for staying together if you consistently run it down a hard packed track at 80+ mph a lot. I’ve seen a couple of them come apart.

Should be an easy sell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.
I ride Ontario and Quebec. Some off trail but majority on trail for now. 75 / 25 off trail
Considering I have Titan for breaking trail off trail when required what track would you recommend?

I am thinking studded 1.375 cobra.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The best would be to swap track with someone who wants a 2" instead of 1.35" its pretty common. Ask your dealer to contact you if they find someone and put an add for it.
In my case I liked the 2" overall performance but I ended up doing more trail and decided to cut off .25" off the lugs and it's night and day difference on traction and braking on hardpark and still good offtrail.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
Got around 3k miles by now on my 2019 SBA 850. Over here we only got the 2" track to choose from at snowcheck.
For much of my riding, one of the studden 1.5.1-6" tracks would probably be ideal, but I decided to give the 2" a try.
It has worked much better than expected for allround trail use. (Rides with cable scratchers down all the time to keep everything nice & cool)
The soft lugs has started to fold over some though - should probably have done like suggested above , cut off some of the lug tips.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Samking how many miles have you put on cutdown track and any overheating issues trailriding?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Around 1200miles. I always use my scratchers so no heating issue except one day where it was very icy.
I ran 90mph+ many times without issue too.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Anybody interested, I have two 2” tracks off 18 assaults. So 144”. One new take off and one with about 100 miles on it. Pm me if interested.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
I ride Ontario and Quebec. Some off trail but majority on trail for now. 75 / 25 off trail
Considering I have Titan for breaking trail off trail when required what track would you recommend?

I am thinking studded 1.375 cobra.
The best track I’ve personally used in the same area is the 1.75 hurricane. It just flat out works!

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
The best track I’ve personally used in the same area is the 1.75 hurricane. It just flat out works!
I would say the same about the 1.75 Backcountry...but only because I haven't tried the Hurricane. BC is about the perfect track for me. Does everything better than any trail track and works stellar off as well. Obviously a studded track is better than it on ice, but in the past 5 years we have had a whopping 2 days where a studded track would have made me happier. Of course all it did was slow me down a bit without.
Jamie - have you compared the Hurricane to the Backcountry by chance?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How are the 1.75 tracks for vibration or noise?
I have a 2019 Titan XC with 156” x 20 x 1.8” cobra track and there is vibration and a drone at certain speeds. I know Polaris has an issue with this sled but just curious if 1.75” tracks cause vibrations?

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
I think the titan drone may be from the huge tunnel acting as a resonance box..?

Anyway , got the 1.75" x 137 BC on my 2015 600. Havent noticed much track noise/vibration

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have been taking the 2" paddles an trimming off a 1/4" for the past 12 years on both
144 RMK s an assaults I run cable scratchers have never had an over heating problem
and you end up with a stiffer lug and have sleds with 7500 miles on a set of slides
I have had tracks with over 8000 miles on them an have never broke off a paddle on any track
but I don't have run 80 MPH on the trail i have more fun fun from 0-60
I wont run a short lug track an will not run studs

·
Registered
19SKS850,17Assault815BCX.13BCX,to96XCR6;-} Six Star:Lodge At HWL
187 Posts
Had very good luck with Backcountry 1.75 for all around track for Michigan riding. Hooks up great on hard pack and does well in deeper snow. Never had a lug issue on any of them with thousands of miles put on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input. I am seriously considering trimming the lugs. Save some cash for now.
And reality for a used 2” track I will get $400 or 500. If I am lucky. Cost more to swap it out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have 6000 km on a 2" series 4 track on my 2019 assault. No issues at all. Run scratchers down at all time and no overheating- ever. Very happy with it, I'm probably 75% on trail and 25% off and it definitely works well off trail and the on trail manners are not that bad. I also have a ski doo backcountry with the 1.75 and it does not perform nearly as well in the powder.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks County line,

What scratchers do you run?

How does it handle on trail cornering and braking? Any wash or sliding feeling from track lugs flexing?

Dealer is pretty sure he has a 1.35 track takeoff from a new machine so I am seriously considering the swap. I do a little ice fishing also and Glare ice on Simcoe and no sliders halfway to fish hut is no fun.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts