Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having ski pressure issues (Darting) for the last few years. Every book I have (1999 repair manual, performance manual) has zero info regarding this adjustment. The only thing I can find in either book is to run the spring tension as light as possible. Can a few of you measure the distance between the plastic spring adjuster and the aluminum shock head. (All the threads). I am curious to see the differences that everyone is running.

Thanks in advance. :beerchug:

·
Registered
822 Posts
I went through the same thing.

I always set my front spring as follows........ with the skid out I loosen the spring retainer till the spring is loose on the adjuster. then tighten the adjuster about 2-3 turns.
This seems to be fine most of the time.

If it is too soft then another turn can be added and this will fix you right up.
Hope this helps.

:beerchug:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Check your toe, this is the normal cause for darting. Should be a 1/4" toe out with a light bungie cord pulling the ski tips together. Any toe in will cause darting. Also the front track spring too tight can really make the sled squirely. No more than 2-3 turns tight from the spring ratteling. This is usually only 1/4-3/8" thread showing below the collar.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my earlier post, I wrote "Darting". That was incorrect as I meant heavy steering. With the exact setting as you described, it still feels like you have to force the bars to turn. I can almost deal with it when I have the stock ski's installed with Woody's Dually runners, but anything else is almost untolerable. This year I completely replaced every bushing, new spring, and had the shock rebuilt by Carver Performance and it is as hevy feeling as last year. It seems like there should be a medium between to soft and to stiff when it comes to the spring tension adjustment. I just cant seem to find it.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have the same problem when I use the powder pro's on my ZRT800. You either live with the heavy steering, go back to the stock ski's or lower the front mount of the rear suspension to take weight off the front end and probably loose the advantage of the aftermarket skis. With stock skis the ZRT 800's steer very easy for a heavy sled.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I am sad to say but this is the nature of the Beast.

If you lighten up the front you will start to dart like mad.

I run 10 " carbide on stock ski's.

They bite great but it is a bit on the heavy side to steer.

I do know that I am going in the direction I point it though.

:beerchug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.