Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some HELP!! had [email protected] piston replaced in my sons 99 ZL600 carb.he rodeit for about ahour and temp light came on we rode back home( 100yards)checked jug and it was empty. added to it and now it goes up when i start it and then drains out of jug let it idel and it will go back up some or it will just over flow.is it just air? do i need to let it run and fill it till it stops running over and stays at coldline? do i need to elavate frontend andlet it run? do ijust keep cover off tankand let it run? and does any stay in jug at all?I NEED HELP!!! also asked 2 dealers and got diffrent answers. I would love to get this fixed for the weekend. Thanks For Any Help.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
The procedure I use on my own is to elevate the front end about 6" or so and let the sled run with the cap off while adding a 50/50 mixture of coolant and water until it quits bubbling all the while monitering the engine temp by the feel of the cyl head. If it appears to be getting overly hot, shut it off for a couple of minutes and try again. It normally takes no time at all and your good to go.
Works for me
;)
Rick.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
i watched a mechanic at a polaris dealer pick up the left ski hold for a min.or 2 then do the same on the other side sled was not idling right because of heat buildup (air in system ) when he finished the sled ran much better and light went out too.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
Tipping it from side to side would be more of an issue with a Polaris due to the heat exchangers mounted under either running board. I've never had an issue just elevating the front end on a Cat, of course with the FireCats its a whole different ball game.

Rick.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
You can also pump the main coolant hose with your hand. What I have done when refilling the system before running it is to remove the cap and squeeze the hose running back to the tunnel. You will see air bubble up and the coolant level drop. Add more coolant and squeeze the hose again. When the coolant level stops dropping replace the cap, add coolant to the overflow bootle and run the sled over to a ramp or snow bank to raise the front end. Feel the rear heat exchanger and if it doesn't get hot then you still have air trapped in the system.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Heres a good way drain the cooling system and start over. Lift up the front at least a foot. Take the cap off the over flow bolttle. Take thermostat out of the motor and fill it up from the housing get a funnel and pour it in slow til it tops off. Put the thermo back together and put the cap back on the bottle to the first position. Start it up and check for the exchangers to get warm will take a little while for thermostat to open. A little coolant may come out of the overflow as it warms up. After it warms up real good close the cap on the over flow to full close. Keep an eye on the coolent level on your first ride

1 - 6 of 6 Posts