Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a '99 XCR 800 that he just got from his dad. The sled has 2900 miles on it. Just wondering if you guys could point us in the direction of what we should look over, check or change. Need to have it running good for this winter. Also we looked underneath and the front heat exchanger has some grooves dug into it from what looks like the studs hitting. Could this be from the track being loose?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
1st thing is get the waterpump rebuilt. they usually ok til bout 4000 miles
but also herd them failing at 3000, gen II chassis setup can be changed a
bit to make it transfer better for holeshot. get the tach calibrated my 00 xcr was off 200 rpm, tune to 8300 rpm send me an email [email protected] and I'll send you what I have for setup for chassis and some clutching that I use.

Stock Motor Jetting drop the mains to 420's, change the rear skid a bit
howz the track is it still in good shape, if it needs changing go with a 1.25 I run the polairs shockwave but the comoplast ripsaw is a good replacement.

the track is probably loose causing the studs to wack the exchangers.
what size studs are in the track.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i remember right they are 1 inch studs in the track or a little bigger than that. they stick out maybe an 1/8" past the track. track has 3 holes tore in it from studs being pulled out. How much does it cost to get the waterpump rebuilt?

thanks

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
I just had my WP rebuilt for around $225.00 new WP's are a bit more than $500

prolly a stock .92 inch track and with a 1" or 1.075" studs.

if the clutches have never been rebuilt it might be time for the spider to be
done with new rollers too.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Just to throw this out there - water pump failure isn't a given at 3 - 4,000 mi. My buddy drives a 00 XCR 800 with over 10,000 miles on it and the motor has never been cracked! Sled has truely been a pull the rope and go ride! Awesome sled!

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Step one. Check for a torque arm on the left front corner of the motor. If it doesn't have one, get one (SLP is the most popular). You'll be a victim of constant motor mount issues until you do. Blow a couple of belts/front mounts due to the lack of one, and you've pretty much paid for a torque arm.

I sold my 99 and went to the Gen II because of the narrow clearance between track and front heat exchanger. Suggest you be very carefull with track tension/stud length on the Aggressive....mine was pretty much shredded when I sold it - but wasn't leaking.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
$449 for the pump at partsland. Mine went at 3000 miles. Much cheaper and better to inspect and rebuild than to have it go out in the middle of nowhere and turn the motor into a (short lived) steam engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts