Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:banana: Im so proud of my slede it is my first and Im not use to working on them. I work on everything elce but sleds. Can you give me some ideas on getting it going this Winter. I know that the hyfex were about a foot down, can i stop this. Coming home from Iraq in Nov. and need it ready. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Id put a new sled of sparkplugs in it, put a new drivebelt on it, replace the hyfax, replace the carbides and you should be good to go.
Theres really not a whole lot of maintenance on a sled.
Im not sure what you mean by the hyfax being "about a foot down".
Cap'n

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Originally posted by Captain_Toyota@Sep 3 2005, 03:53 PM
Id put a new sled of sparkplugs in it, put a new drivebelt on it, replace the hyfax, replace the carbides and you should be good to go.
Theres really not a whole lot of maintenance on a sled.
Im not sure what you mean by the hyfax being "about a foot down".
Cap'n
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=859840
[/quote]

What do you mean by "not a whole of maintenance on a sled" :augen41:

With a new sled (previously owned) here's what I'd do:

1. Check the sled over throughly, look for obvious issues, leaks, grease stains, etc. If none are found give it a great bath (its easier to work on a clean suspension or engine compartment)

2. CLEAN THE CARBS. I don't trust other people's summerizing techniques and it'll give you a peace of mind. Dirty carbs don't flow fuel, no fuel equals lean condition which equals pistons, cylinders, etc. which equals $$$. While you're at it check the throttle cables for the carbs and check the oil pump operation (make sure oil pump arms moves freely with carbs).

3. Clean and grease the rear suspension. Give all those grease zerks a pump or two of cold weather grease.

4. Sounds like you need to change the hifax. I think you might mean by the "a foot down" line is that where the hifax starts at the front of the rails "about a foot back its really worn?" Basically where the rails are curved? :dunno: If this is the location this is common on all sleds.

5. Check rear suspension out for obvious bent items, worn track clips, etc. Check the track tension.

6. Repeat procedure for front end suspension and steering.

7. Put a dab of high temp silicone on each one of the springs holding the exhaust together, the silicone acts as a "dampner" for the engine vibrations.

8. Go around sled and check all bolts for tightness.

9. Check headlight, taillight, and brake light for function.

10. New plugs, belt (and a spare one), and carbides like Capn Toyota said.

11. Check the brakes for function, brake pad wear, and brake fluid/cable for contaimination or wear. (I dunno of this sled has hydraulic or cable brakes)

I'm sure other people will add other items. I look at maintenance on any vehicle as what makes it go, stop, and keeps it in control (suspension) needs to be maintained. But thats just me and some people call me anal. Or is it asshole? I don't remember. :dance2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I´ll recommend bying following workshop manual.

Yamaha Snowmobile Three Cyl.Models 1997-2002
ISBN: 0892877774

It contains good step by step instructions for seasonal service and all necessary areas to check, measures, torgues and wear limits etc. You will save money and working with your snowmobile is more fun.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Everyone before me made some very good suggestions on bringing it back on line an d I'm sure if you do all that you'll be all set. :div20: I had a 98 SRX 600 and ended up putting 16,800 miles on it and it was the best sled I ever owned. :div20: It was very reliable, very fast and fun to ride. :frech11: I was going to keep it forever until it got "toasted" :augen41: in a garage fire which didn't leave much that was recognizable. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
don't forget to check the clutches.....most important. Ever see one grenade at 8000rpm from lack of maintenance?

·
Registered
942 Posts
yea inspect the clutch or remove them and have it rebuilt by a pro if miles are over say 2000. or inspected if lower miles. cleaning the cards it #1 on list. dont want a burn down on first big weekend of season.

and make sure you buy insurance. liability and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage to start the day your trails open.

always wanted one of those.

·
Registered
942 Posts
one more if this is your first sled dont tempt yourself into keeping with the others you ride with. those threes seem to jump out on trail when you least expect it. especially when on the WHISKEY. HURLEY OR BUST.

2,329 Posts
Originally posted by softaildriveJH@Sep 3 2005, 02:00 PM
:banana:  Im so proud of my slede it is my first and Im not use to working on them. I work on everything elce but sleds. Can you give me some ideas on getting it going this Winter. I know that the hyfex were about a foot down, can i stop this. Coming home from Iraq  in Nov. and need it ready. Thanks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=859806
[/quote]
I THINK THE ADVICE THE OTHER'S GAVE YOU COVERED JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING, EXCEPT FOR THE POWER VAVLES. RUN A GOOD QUALITY OIL & CLEAN THEM AT LEAST EVERY 500 MILES. IF YOU DONT YOU'LL END UP FRAYING THE CABLES & DESTROYING THE VAVLES. I KNOW I WENT THROUGH QUITE A FEW OF THEM BEFORE I FIGURED IT OUT. :doh: :div20:

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Originally posted by smobile@Sep 6 2005, 12:29 PM
I´ll recommend bying following workshop manual.

Yamaha Snowmobile Three Cyl.Models 1997-2002
ISBN: 0892877774

It contains good step by step instructions for seasonal service and all necessary areas to check, measures, torgues and wear limits etc. You will save money and working with your snowmobile is more fun.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=862726
[/quote]

If that is a Clymer shop manual DO NOT buy it. I bought one for my SRX 700 because it says it covers all 3 cylinder models 1997-2002........well it doesn't cover the SRX 600 or SRX 700. Needless to say it pissed me off and I couldn't return it to Dennis Kirk because I already removed the wrapper. :doh: :banghead:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just bought a 98 srx these tip are really gonna help. I am probably gonna get my cusin down who also has an srx to show me step by step.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts