Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apologies for yet another "clutching setup" post after probably a million of them, but I'll try to keep this short & sweet. Looking for advise on clutch set up for my riding style using the clutch parts I have.

Sled runs like a top & clutches are in excellent condition (ie. bearings, bushings, rollers, offset, deflection, c-c, skew, parallelism, skew, clean, etc.). 70% of riding is on trails (either tight twisties or long sweeping higher speed turns) & 30% is lake running. Zero off trail or boondocking & I weigh about 180lbs without gear.

Currently running the stock setup......brand new red AC primary spring (74/222).....55.5 weights............brand new yellow AC secondary spring (??/92) in 3rd hole & 53* helix.

Not looking to purchase anything else or change gearing or jetting & would like to work the clutch parts I currently have. So my question is......with the following clutch parts, what combination would give me more jam on the trails, without loosing top end speed. Not really looking for out of the hole acceleration, simply more responsive on the trails, without top end loss. I have a brand new AC yellow/green primary spring (114/267).......55* & a 57/50* helix......& brand new EPI black (50/107) & brand new EPI purple (86/148) secondary springs. Sled has a brand new 1" Camso Carve w/144 studs up the middle.

So thanks for any suggestion you may have. Thx, Alex.

Ohhh.....I've attached photos of my 55 & 57/50 helix. The 57/50's base is thicker & thus the ramps are taller. Is this an "older" style helix, or "overdrive"....& will it fit in my secondary roller secondary?

·
Registered
681 Posts
With the stock primary weights, i would simply switch the stock helix for the 57/50, and fine tune with secondary spring if necessary..There should be no problem with that helix in the roller secondary..Tighten the helix down once the spring and cover are in place..cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply thunder999. I did have the 57/50 is briefly & it did have quite a bit more snap to it, but noticed the height difference & wasn't sure then & switched back. I've tried searching the net on what "type" of helix it is & have only seen a couple references to an "older" or "overdrive" helix, so just wanted to be sure. The red primary spring seems okay for an all around set up, & wanted to get the engagement up a little bit, but nothing too harsh on take off. I also had a ZRT 600 & read they need to wind up a bit more as they don't have as much torque as the 800's, so the yellow/green was good in it. Again, I primarily trail ride & runs some lakes to open her up a bit & use them as short cuts to get around & after reading many posts about the clutching the 800's, without changing anything else, AC leave a bit on the table with their factory clutching. I do understand clutching basics as in what each individual component does, but in combination....a little fuzzy. So don't want to go backwards or make it worse. The black EPI (50/107) secondary spring I have is close to the factory AC red/white (??/105) & have read they work well as well. Not sure about my EPI purple (86/148) though as it may be much for my riding style & my current components I have to work with.

Thanks again for any input. Alex.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts