Hardcore Sledder banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,634 Posts
One of our guys had a turbo 98 xc700. Nothing but issues trying to run it on the trail in quebec with fried pistons, overheating, and lack of finding premium fuel. It never rode well either.
Just an example of novices trying to use technology that they do not understand. I had my own XC700 turbo sled at a big local bar in Cadillac, MI. when the bar tender came up to me and said: Turbo Phil, I want you to meet turbo Ed. He owns a turboed 98 XC 700 like yours. Ed asked to see mine. I told him it was sitting right out front. He went out and looked under the hood. He came back inside and said: Your's doesn't have all the maze of plumbing mine has. Why not? I said: "because I don't need it".

Two guys from Cleveland, Ohio were listening. I was using nothing but pump 93 octane fuel. 8 psi boost.

Turbo Ed says: Let's all ride to another bar about 20 miles away. So, we all rode there. On the way, ED and I compared performance. It was no contest for me. Ed had adjustable boost and race fuel mix as I recall. Didn't matter.

Once we got to the bar, Ee had blown his engine on the way. One of the other riders on a 95 XCR 600 had to tow Ed back to the first bar.

Once at the bar, one of the guys from Ohio says: "Turbo Ed needs to listen to Turbo Phil".

Moral of the story: Listen to the folks who have a track record of success. BTW, my sled also had Boswell moded stock carbs. Ed didn't. LOL!

·
Registered
45,094 Posts
Just an example of novices trying to use technology that they do not understand. I had my own XC700 turbo sled at a big local bar in Cadillac, MI. when the bar tender came up to me and said: Turbo Phil, I want you to meet turbo Ed. He owns a turboed 98 XC 700 like yours. Ed asked to see mine. I told him it was sitting right out front. He went out and looked under the hood. He came back inside and said: Your's doesn't have all the maze of plumbing mine has. Why not? I said: "because I don't need it".

Two guys from Cleveland, Ohio were listening. I was using nothing but pump 93 octane fuel. 8 psi boost.

Turbo Ed says: Let's all ride to another bar about 20 miles away. So, we all rode there. On the way, ED and I compared performance. It was no contest for me. Ed had adjustable boost and race fuel mix as I recall. Didn't matter.

Once we got to the bar, Ee had blown his engine on the way. One of the other riders on a 95 XCR 600 had to tow Ed back to the first bar.

Once at the bar, one of the guys from Ohio says: "Turbo Ed needs to listen to Turbo Phil".

Moral of the story: Listen to the folks who have a track record of success. BTW, my sled also had Boswell moded stock carbs. Ed didn't. LOL!
The problem our guy had was finding premium fuel. His was an areocharger trying to run on 5-6 lbs of boost. It ran great down here on our premium pump gas with some race fuel, and actually didn't run bad up there until having to refill the gas tank with regular pump fuel.

·
Premium Member
18,634 Posts
The problem our guy had was finding premium fuel. His was an areocharger trying to run on 5-6 lbs of boost. It ran great down here on our premium pump gas with some race fuel, and actually didn't run bad up there until having to refill the gas tank with regular pump fuel.
The 143/300 Aerocharger that was used was too small. Way too much exhaust backpressure. I use the 199/250 larger unit that's no longer produced.

·
Registered
Decker Piped 1996 Ultra SP, PSI Piped 96 Ultra SP
124 Posts
All my extra 10 shocks were gold colored except for my 96 ultra, they were white. That sled rode better than the extra 10 xc's i think mainly due to a heavier front end being a triple. Except for very early fox shock that didn't have a floating piston, the later ones were better...really depends on the valving for a particular sled, and riders abilities how well a shock performs.
I agree wholeheartedly. I am not a fan of those white body Foxes. I do love these Gold/brass colored Foxes that come on the XCR 800's. I have one installed and one I am going to get rebuilt.

·
Registered
45,094 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly. I am not a fan of those white body Foxes. I do love these Gold/brass colored Foxes that come on the XCR 800's. I have one installed and one I am going to get rebuilt.
First year when they came on my 00 ves 600 the reliability was terrible...all 4 shocks kept blowing out, especially the 2 ifs ones and the rear pps track shock...so was the ride i hate to say. My 01 600 edge was a little better as far as less shock failures.The suspension on the edge was more compliant to. When polaris went to the rydes next year, those shocks were great....rode all season without rebuilding them.

·
Registered
Decker Piped 1996 Ultra SP, PSI Piped 96 Ultra SP
124 Posts
First year when they came on my 00 ves 600 the reliability was terrible...all 4 shocks kept blowing out, especially the 2 ifs ones and the rear pps track shock...so was the ride i hate to say. My 01 600 edge was a little better as far as less shock failures.The suspension on the edge was more compliant to. When polaris went to the rydes next year, those shocks were great....rode all season without rebuilding them.
These are the shocks I use in my Ultra Mod. Dunno the exact model except that they're the Gold body Fox shock. Mine appears silver, since I cleaned it up to paint before it gets rebuilt. I am thinking of going black on the body, just as it's easier than getting it re-Zinc coated.
Wood Household hardware Cylinder Gas Hardwood

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
how did the xc 700 98' compare to a 2000 ves gen 2 xcsp 600?

·
Registered
45,094 Posts
how did the xc 700 98' compare to a 2000 ves gen 2 xcsp 600?
As far as the shocks...both were terrible. Imo, the extra 10 might of been a fast chassis, but rode like chit in the xc's. The suspension could be adjusted to run ok in minor stutters, but were horrendous through be bigger moguls, or you could make them decent at speed in the bigger moguls by revalving the shocks. I could not get an acceptable medium with that suspension, no matter what i did.
As far as performance, my 00 ves 600 was quicker than later xc 700 sleds. They were about even after a mile. If you can get a pristine 97-98 with 220 cylinders, they were stump pullers in 660'

·
Premium Member
18,634 Posts
As far as the shocks...both were terrible. Imo, the extra 10 might of been a fast chassis, but rode like chit in the xc's. The suspension could be adjusted to run ok in minor stutters, but were horrendous through be bigger moguls, or you could make them decent at speed in the bigger moguls by revalving the shocks. I could not get an acceptable medium with that suspension, no matter what i did.
As far as performance, my 00 ves 600 was quicker than later xc 700 sleds. They were about even after a mile. If you can get a pristine 97-98 with 220 cylinders, they were stump pullers in 660'
My 98 XC 700 had the 220 cylinders. Excellent for turbocharging. I also installed the 600 CDI box as it had 6 deg less timing at peak rpms.

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
i mean 98'xc 700 vs 600 ves gen 2. anyone race em ?someone must have?

61 - 72 of 72 Posts