Hardcore Sledder banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
I had a 97 ultra SPX SE which is the exact same thing with the exception of Bold New Graphics and a name change. Bullet proof, strong and fast. Handling was great. Oil tank was to small for long rides of 220 + miles. Mileage sucked. Extra 10 super sucks in everything. I swapped to an M10 which was light years better but obviously lost off the line traction. Guy I road with had the 99 XCR800 which had flat slides and ves. He got 2-3 mpg better. We put pro x skid in his which gave it a great ride and it hooked up like a beast.
Imo, my older 95 xcr skid rode better than those extra 10 skids. Both handled well though. Extra 10 just sucked.

·
Registered
Decker Piped 1996 Ultra SP, PSI Piped 96 Ultra SP
123 Posts
Imo, my older 95 xcr skid rode better than those extra 10 skids. Both handled well though. Extra 10 just sucked.
I laugh every time someone says Xtra 10 sucks. I grenaded multiple discs in my lower back and even I can handle the Xtra 10... No reason out there for anyone to complain about them. Get the shocks valved for your weight and riding style, and there you go...

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
I laugh every time someone says Xtra 10 sucks. I grenaded multiple discs in my lower back and even I can handle the Xtra 10... No reason out there for anyone to complain about them. Get the shocks valved for your weight and riding style, and there you go...
I played endlessly with the shocks, and springs on 3 different xc sleds with extra 10 from 98-00. They all sucked. You could make them very good in the stutters, but they bottomed bad in the big moguls...or make the decent at speed in the 3' moguls, but you'd loose your filling's in the stutters. I even tried the ad bovine rear skid adjustable coupling kit to help with this. I still have a rubbermaid storage tub full of extra 10 chit somewhere in the garage.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You could make them very good in the stutters, but they bottomed bad in the big moguls...or make the decent at speed in the 3' moguls, but you'd loose your filling's in the stutters.
That's your problem. Running a 10" suspension on whooped out trails, running the sled like you're Kody Kamm. Lol. Just teasing, with some truth... I agree the suck on trashed trails. But on a good day, it's a fantastic suspension, especially for dual use, such as on lake day. No M-10 or Xtra 12 sled will compete, apples to apples.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
That's your problem. Running a 10" suspension on whooped out trails, running the sled like you're Kody Kamm. Lol. Just teasing, with some truth... I agree the suck on trashed trails. But on a good day, it's a fantastic suspension, especially for dual use, such as on lake day. No M-10 or Xtra 12 sled will compete, apples to apples.
Only thing those skids were good for was drag racing, or speed runs on a smooth surface....not for real world trail use. I've got a nicely setup 05 edge 50th anniversary, its like night, and day when comparing it against the extra 10 on any trail. Any one that thinks an extra 10 rides great hasn't a clue.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Any one that thinks an extra 10 rides great hasn't a clue.
Oh I have a clue. As I said, grenaded multiple discs in my lower back. Have not gotten the surgery to fix. No complaints from me. But I suppose I must know how to tune the suspensions, as last year I was bombing ungroomed trails with not one sore day afterwards. They do ride great, if you know how to tune them ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
And even better yet, run the torsion springs and rear shock from the XCR 800's. That helps a lot too.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
Oh I have a clue. As I said, grenaded multiple discs in my lower back. Have not gotten the surgery to fix. No complaints from me. But I suppose I must know how to tune the suspensions, as last year I was bombing ungroomed trails with not one sore day afterwards. They do ride great, if you know how to tune them ;)
I don't think i need lessons how to tune a sleds suspension, and i'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
And even better yet, run the torsion springs and rear shock from the XCR 800's. That helps a lot too.
For your information the rear torsion springs are same ones on extra 10 skids...only the shocks are different, but they don't always mean a better ride....well maybe on a well groomed trail. I've run into a lot rider that think just by changing parts they think in their mind mentally the sled now rids better. I've done actual timed testing around a course that tells me if a suspension change is working better.

·
Premium Member
18,586 Posts
I've ridden mostly Polaris sleds since 1979. Many were the 8" versions. then extra 10. Extra 12. Also M-10, Edge, Now the newer AXYS suspensions. Each one is tolerable for all round trail riding to a certain limit. To me, I never saw a major difference for my style of riding. The newer ones are superior to the earlier ones. Less body English needed. Mainly due to longer travel and better shocks. I do not try to race/outride everyone on whooped out trails. In fact, I hate that type of riding. Rather stay home. We ride mostly groomed trails, hardpacked roads, lakes, etc.

To me, an Extra 10 suspension is fine. As with everything, setup is the key.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
I've ridden mostly Polaris sleds since 1979. Many were the 8" versions. then extra 10. Extra 12. Also M-10, Edge, Now the newer AXYS suspensions. Each one is tolerable for all round trail riding to a certain limit. To me, I never saw a major difference for my style of riding. The newer ones are superior to the earlier ones. Less body English needed. Mainly due to longer travel and better shocks. I do not try to race/outride everyone on whooped out trails. In fact, I hate that type of riding. Rather stay home. We ride mostly groomed trails, hardpacked roads, lakes, etc.

To me, an Extra 10 suspension is fine. As with everything, setup is the key.

Extra 10 is fine for table top groom trails. The aggressive chassis with it will ride best. Ride any trails rougher than that it sucks. Its a suspension that cannot be tuned for both at the same time.
I'll agree nothing right now is better than these new chassis's, but so goes the cost. I started riding when sleds had 3'' of suspension while trying to use my motocross skills on them. Can't tell you how many times something broke, and it wasn't me that time.

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Extra 10 is fine for table top groom trails. The aggressive chassis with it will ride best. Ride any trails rougher than that it sucks. Its a suspension that cannot be tuned for both at the same time.
I'll agree nothing right now is better than these new chassis's, but so goes the cost. I started riding when sleds had 3'' of suspension while trying to use my motocross skills on them. Can't tell you how many times something broke, and it wasn't me that time.
i find everything edge chassis up rides fine for me. people act like there backbreakers but i dont see it at all.

for sure a new sled with 6 grand worth of shocks on it ride better. i never paid that for my 2 sleds combined lol

Reactions: too slow

·
Registered
123 Posts
For your information the rear torsion springs are same ones on extra 10 skids...only the shocks are different, but they don't always mean a better ride.
I beg to differ. They made different torsion springs. The 800s differed even more as they were sprung out of square stock. The XCR 700 above should have the sprung round stock torsion springs. Get the square torsion springs at a stiffer rate than what's on there now.. As for the Shock, yes that s the big difference. The "brass colored" body Fox is a better shock than the standard White body fox... Just my .02

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I beg to differ. They made different torsion springs. The 800s differed even more as they were sprung out of square stock. The XCR 700 above should have the sprung round stock torsion springs. Get the square torsion springs at a stiffer rate than what's on there now.. As for the Shock, yes that s the big difference. The "brass colored" body Fox is a better shock than the standard White body fox... Just my .02
heres the million dollar question; hows it run alongside the 98'xc 700 twin? twin beat it on a 1000 feet and the triple run it down on top or ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
heres the million dollar question; hows it run alongside the 98'xc 700 twin? twin beat it on a 1000 feet and the triple run it down on top or ?
Its gonna be close. As always it's all in setup. Especially if you're not running sanctioned events. Slap in NTN Black Ice bearings throughout, or go really pricey with the ceramics... Could play with reducing rotating mass, 9811R track, etc etc. Truely stock for stock, I'd sadly place my bet on the XC. And that's coming from someone who is a MASSIVE 680 fan. As shown below I've had my fair share of them ;)
Photograph Vehicle White Green Light

·
Premium Member
18,586 Posts
Agreed. I owned a 98 XC 700 from brand new. Had the CRC and extra 10. Very decent ride. Turbocharged it almost immediately. Very strong runner.

Biggest problem was track ballooning at very top end and then ratchetting. Had to switch to 4 drivers from stock 2.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
All my xc extra 10 rear torsion springs were sq. stock. I can't say about the xcr 700 back in the day, but i do remember my 95 xcr 600 being round stock, but that was before the extra 10. All my extra 10 shocks were gold colored except for my 96 ultra, they were white. That sled rode better than the extra 10 xc's i think mainly due to a heavier front end being a triple. Except for very early fox shock that didn't have a floating piston, the later ones were better...really depends on the valving for a particular sled, and riders abilities how well a shock performs.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
i find everything edge chassis up rides fine for me. people act like there backbreakers but i dont see it at all.

for sure a new sled with 6 grand worth of shocks on it ride better. i never paid that for my 2 sleds combined lol
Yup, i have my edge's suspension setup to ride as good as any later iq sled. Its far from a back dragger. Granted i've invested quite a bit of time and money over the years to get it this way, but its sort of a hobby of mine.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
Agreed. I owned a 98 XC 700 from brand new. Had the CRC and extra 10. Very decent ride. Turbocharged it almost immediately. Very strong runner.

Biggest problem was track ballooning at very top end and then ratchetting. Had to switch to 4 drivers from stock 2.
One of our guys had a turbo 98 xc700. Nothing but issues trying to run it on the trail in quebec with fried pistons, overheating, and lack of finding premium fuel. It never rode well either.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts