Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
missed out on a 03 xcr 800 year before last...my favorite one, by a few days.

still sick over that. 4000 miles on er and mint.

god dammit i want one. stock prefferably and just keep it for a few pond blasts or a sunday rip in march month when the trails are settled and like a highway. there so cool. just the sound alone is worth restoring one to me or paying a little more then there really worth for a nice example.

i see theres a complete xcr 8 motor ready to drop in locally, but the guy wants almost 2 grand for it and then of course i need a chassis so theres that issue lol

·
Vendor
10,507 Posts
so how were they for a 700?slow?

ultra with the single was what ..100-105 hp? i read slp pipes woke those up alot , to the tune of 30-40 hp which sounds like dreaming to me but its what the thread said ...any ideas on hp on these..

id guess in the 130 range or no? ive heard 140-145hp thrown out there for the 99 ves, which is srx territory, but im sure this isnt that. i did see a 99 ves 700 xcr that definitely was equal to the srx or dam close. ive never seen an ultra, ultra spx or this version xcr run.
a honest 40 h.p. with triple pipes. so yes a non valve ultra motor with SLP pipes was 140- 142 h.p. 800 xcr was 155 these had factory triple pipes and ex. valves. the ultra is just a necked down 800 xcr motor basically. the weird sled is the 99 xcr 700 this was a true 700 with valve's a one year sled. try to find piston's etc. for these. very tough better to just put 800 cylinders on them.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
a honest 40 h.p. with triple pipes. so yes a non valve ultra motor with SLP pipes was 140- 142 h.p. 800 xcr was 155 these had factory triple pipes and ex. valves. the ultra is just a necked down 800 xcr motor basically. the weird sled is the 99 xcr 700 this was a true 700 with valve's a one year sled. try to find piston's etc. for these. very tough better to just put 800 cylinders on them.
We dyno my 96 ultra with dynoport triple pipes...145 hp. We tried aaen triples, they were 141 hp, and change, but at 9k rpm. The stock singe barely made 106 hp.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
that sled was over ported. that's why they were a dog. you could wake them up but it took a lot to do so.
The porting wasn't the main issue with the 600 xcr triple triple...the pipes were really built for an 800. We put a set of aaen pipes on the triple triple...along with revised jetting, and gearing it was a totally different sled..it flew.

·
Vendor
10,507 Posts
that's right i mixed that sled up with the 750 storm. that sled was the one over ported. the crank shop figure out the issue a year or so later. they cast new cylinders on new and what a difference. unfortunately these were a one year sled with very few made.

·
Premium Member
18,586 Posts
I owned a 93 Storm and a 94 Storm and a 96 Ultra from brand new. Also had customers who had the 96 XCSP 600 and the 98 XCR.

The 93 Storm was definitely not over ported, it was over jetted. Made a tremendous turbo sled once properly jetted. At least 200 hp at 7 psi boost.

The 94 Storm was faster but had the wrong float needle and seat. 1.8 mm vs 1.5 for the 93. This caused fouled plugs in trail usage and poor mpg. Once the proper 1.5 mm NS was installed it ran much better. The original 28 deg 93 Storm flywheel also woke it up. FP6396.

The 96 600 had the Storm sized pipes on it and was a big slug unless they were fully warmed up.

The 98 700 XCR was only a mediocre performer. My Dyno Port piped 96 680 Ultra with Boswell moded TMX flatslides would destroy it. My XCR 700 customer sold it ASAP and bought a 2001 XCR 800 that we set up like my own 2000 XCR 800. It flys.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
I agree above about the porting on the 93 750 storm...it was a stump puller once the jetting and clutching was straightened out. We ran that sled all season without a loss.
Back in the day i had a 96 680 ultra wedge with dynoport pipes with the 38 mm tmx flat slides. It was a zrt 800 killer. I had those guys scratching their heads all winter. Veery reliable sled to with 4k trail miles in quebec.

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
i gotta get one of these badass triples.just to have it to take out a couple runs a year.want one bad.

aggressive 99' 700 or 800 xcr , or a 2000-2003 xcr be the ideal. i want the valved motor for sure.

dont care if it weighs a ton and rides like shit...i want the sound.

it appears the depriciation is over and the prices are going up now on them.

found a really nice 02' xcr 800 in onta\rio, want 6000 bucks.

a 99' mike houle mach z 800 yellow ck3 for 5000.

either of these would be great but god dam thats steep for what they are.

srxs are similar priced but got a million kms on them all.

so a valved xcr 7 or 8, a ck3 mach z 8 or a 2000-02 srx. i really want one of these.

gen 2 xcr 8 being my favorite.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
i gotta get one of these badass triples.just to have it to take out a couple runs a year.want one bad.

aggressive 99' 700 or 800 xcr , or a 2000-2003 xcr be the ideal. i want the valved motor for sure.

dont care if it weighs a ton and rides like shit...i want the sound.
Those sleds are a 1/4 century old now. Finding one in pristine working condition is long gone let alone getting all the parts needed to restore one. Its all turbo 4 strokes today if a need for speed.

·
Vendor
10,507 Posts
you needed to see what the crank shop did to the 750 storm. it beat 800 xcr's all day long. the ports were cut wrong according to them. either to low or high? can't remember but there trail package ripped the ass out of everything it ran against on pump gas. little known secret the crank shop can make Polaris power with the best out there. watched there mod 600 iqr destroy every body in 2005 @ RMR sno- x that year. and won the hill cross at sweene peak ski- area in M.E. all comers turbos, 1200 c.c. mod stuff etc. wasn't even close.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
you needed to see what the crank shop did to the 750 storm. it beat 800 xcr's all day long. the ports were cut wrong according to them. either to low or high? can't remember but there trail package ripped the ass out of everything it ran against on pump gas. little known secret the crank shop can make Polaris power with the best out there. watched there mod 600 iqr destroy every body in 2005 @ RMR sno- x that year. and won the hill cross at sweene peak ski- area in M.E. all comers turbos, 1200 c.c. mod stuff etc. wasn't even close.
Larry made some 1000 cc cylinders for our buddies 93 750 storm, but the porting wasn't that good making less than 200 hp. claimed.. Our engine machinist did much of it over getting another 25 hp. out of the motor. The sleds an ice shredder in 660, nearly impossible to fully hookup in the first 200'.

·
Premium Member
18,586 Posts
My Canadian BIL and his sons all had 2000 XCR 800s until 2016 when they started selling them and now own 2019 850 Indys. A guy from Northern Canada came down to Southern Ontario and bought every XCR 800 he could find. They are the most popular for racing up there and for good reason.

I support a local guy in my area who has a great running 2001 set up only for ice. He has stock porting and pipes. Beats most of the ported/piped XCRs. IMO, you can't beat a well set up stock XCR800. I still own my 2000. Being turbocharged by this season. I expect at least 225 hp at low boost on pump fuel. I've been hoarding various spare parts for this sled so I can keep it running a lot longer. I have an extra lower end, cylinders, heads, valves, bellows, water pump rebuild kit, seat, fuel tank, handlebars, controls, instruments, CDI, triple pipes, new clutch, original secondary, jackshaft, drive shaft, etc, etc.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If you call that hoarding then I have a real problem with xcr 800 parts.🤣
There is a guy from Canada that run into at Haydays often that has 8 or so xcrs all set up to do their own thing…..plus his trail sled.

·
Premium Member
18,586 Posts
Incidentally, I just reviewed the DTR testing of the 96 Ultra 680, the XCR 600, and the testing of the 97 SPX 680 along with big bore versions of all of them.

The 97 SPX 680 made 133 hp @ 8300 rpm. This is likely very similar to a 98 XCR 700.

The 750-800 cc bigbore versions were around 145-160 hp @ around 83-8500 rpm.

By comparison, a good 800 stock XCR made around 155-160 hp @ 8100 rpm. Added mods such as good DP pipes, VF reeds, cylinder shims, etc. made as high as 180 hp. However, I tried DP pipes and saw zero gains in the field against stock XCR 800 similarly jetted and clutched pace sleds.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
All the xcr 6-8 engines our guy did were 160 hp. on pump gas at 8500-8600 rpm using the stock round slide carbs that were bored to 39.2 mm. They ran the dynoport big volume pipes.

·
Registered
Decker Piped 1996 Ultra SP, PSI Piped 96 Ultra SP
123 Posts
My time to shine...

1. Valves help bottom end, top speed is negligible as gearing and such can change.

2. Its a rebadged Ultra SPX. Which has port, head, and CDI changes from the single pipe 680.

3. They are reliable like the wedge Ultra, but has the same water pump issues as the other 97+ case reed triples from Polaris.

4. 132-135 depending how clean the cylinders are and that's near factory jetting.

5. The Aggressive chassis has way better lighting and ergonomics over the Wedge. But it is heavier. Theres a bulkhead cooler on em that the wedge lacks. Handling, probably gonna feel a bit better with all the added weight up front.

6. Like I said above, the 97-03 water pumps. Failure averages 4500 or so miles. 96 bottom ends ftw!

Hope this helps out a bit. If you're on Facebook, come join us on the Polaris Ultra Owners group!

Watercraft Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Black Luggage and bags Automotive design Bag Bumper

Here's a couple pics of my 96 SP with some worthwhile updates.

Lightly ported cylinders
Decker 9000 - 9200 RPM pipes
PAR 14.5:1 billet heads
Wiseco Pro Lite pistons
VForce 3 reeds
New Old Stock crankshaft
Oil pump delete, plugged and plated
Shimmed to run 3211075 belts
22/41 gearing
XCR 800 rear suspension
SLP Wave brake rotor
SLP ceramic brake pads
Custom coil, fuel pump, and CDI mounts
Backfire safety device delete
Steel PTO strap
Engine torque arm

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I had a 97 ultra SPX SE which is the exact same thing with the exception of Bold New Graphics and a name change. Bullet proof, strong and fast. Handling was great. Oil tank was to small for long rides of 220 + miles. Mileage sucked. Extra 10 super sucks in everything. I swapped to an M10 which was light years better but obviously lost off the line traction. Guy I road with had the 99 XCR800 which had flat slides and ves. He got 2-3 mpg better. We put pro x skid in his which gave it a great ride and it hooked up like a beast.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts