Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
from last winters first start up in 3 weeks...to buy or not to buy ...

came across a 1998 xcr 700 on classifieds.

its not the xcr i want, that would be a 99-03 xcr 8, or the ves xcr 7....however, at 1350 obo on classifieds, eh if i can pick it up for a 1000 bucks i could always use a project, and its here on the island.

heres the questions ;

1/ are they almost as fast as a xcr ves 7? i realize throttle response wont be obviously, but top end , wide open is it much different?

2/ is this basically a ultra 680 with triple pipes or is it a different motor?

3/ are they reliable like the ultras, or is it time bomb like mono block xcr 600s a few years older?

4/ what kinda hp numbers did these produce?

5/ aggressive chassis. hows it compare to the wedge?heavier?better ride?

6/ any achiles heels to watch out for?bad cranks ?etc?

few pics....
Snowmobile Boat Watercraft Sports equipment Automotive design
Vehicle Automotive tire Snowmobile Automotive lighting Hood
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Trunk
Snowmobile Snow Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
Friend had one till he hit a hurried 4'' sq. post imbedded on the side of the trail. Cleaned off the entire side of the sled. Very lucky not to loose a leg or foot.
At any rate good extra 10 heavy cruiser...was the prelude to the xcr 800 without the exhaust valves. Imo, it ran similar to the ultra 680.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
Friend had one till he hit a hurried 4'' sq. post imbedded on the side of the trail. Cleaned off the entire side of the sled. Very lucky not to loose a leg or foot.
At any rate good extra 10 heavy cruiser...was the prelude to the xcr 800 without the exhaust valves. Imo, it ran similar to the ultra 680 spx.
Fixed it.

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
so how were they for a 700?slow?

ultra with the single was what ..100-105 hp? i read slp pipes woke those up alot , to the tune of 30-40 hp which sounds like dreaming to me but its what the thread said ...any ideas on hp on these..

id guess in the 130 range or no? ive heard 140-145hp thrown out there for the 99 ves, which is srx territory, but im sure this isnt that. i did see a 99 ves 700 xcr that definitely was equal to the srx or dam close. ive never seen an ultra, ultra spx or this version xcr run.

·
Registered
8 Posts
680 and 700 ultras.. even had an 800 which is super rare these days. Muscle sleds of the time, although I will say I am very brand loyal to polaris...was then and still are's now; the Yamaha srx mountain 700 in 98 is imo the best chassis/engine of the time. Completely and fully moded atleast it can be as light as modern sleds Mines 520 or so rtr full of fuel with spare belt tools ect. 155 polaris skid and track fox floats ect. I'd also say the Yamaha motor is more reliable on the "fine ragged edge" but melting pistons or snapping cranks is kind of the game one plays with trip trippples. Save em!

Depends what your doing. Trail? They all handle like ****. Deep powder mountain riding? Pry best off with something like that ultra 680 or 700 in a skidoo summit chassis.

Slp pipes domes vf3 reeds swap the carbs out with tm36 rack carbs from a early 2000s Yamaha viper or srx. Run a tss04 secondary and make sure your primary is balanced. If you take these engines apart I'd say your SILLY to not grind the rotating assembly to "balance" it all out. Coke scale even if your just doing a top end, it's crazy how far off 3 pistons can be. 3 rod pins... ect.

I believe I have Hurd those ones liked to run hot on the magneto side where as the srx triples from Yamaha in my experience run hot on the pto side. Lastly run some high quality plugs like brisk racing lr12zc or so.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
So to answer the op ?
Its a great running sled with potential to really run strong.The aggressive isnt the greatest handling sled but its a great high speed trail cruiser on smooth trails.

·
Premium Member
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maybe best to hold out for a xcr 800 then. i dont want to buy a musclesled thats slower then my trailsled lol.

·
Premium Member
39,180 Posts
maybe best to hold out for a xcr 800 then. i dont want to buy a musclesled thats slower then my trailsled lol.
Mine was purchased for a tow return sled to pull back my 1000 cc Anderson Chassis from the end of the tracks I raced at. Worked well for that.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
It was popular back in the day to take the xcr 600 triple triple cylinders and install big bore 800 sleeves in them. We called them a 6-8 sled. Ported to run pump gas with the stock 38mm carbs, and dynoport big volume pipes they made an easy 160 hp. It really woke up these heavy aggressive chassis's.

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
Mine was purchased for a tow return sled to pull back my 1000 cc Anderson Chassis from the end of the tracks I raced at. Worked well for that.
Our ending builder had a yamalaris motor in an anderson chassis.....it was cool, but scary to race. He ended up later with a wahl chassis with a full mod fuji 660 in it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
It was popular back in the day to take the xcr 600 triple triple cylinders and install big bore 800 sleeves in them. We called them a 6-8 sled. Ported to run pump gas with the stock 38mm carbs, and dynoport big volume pipes they made an easy 160 hp. It really woke up these heavy aggressive chassis's.
I still have a couple of those engines on the shelf along with xcr800s that Im hoarding.
I actually thought with the right porting it FELT stronger than the ves 800 but never ran it on a dyno or anything

·
Registered
44,798 Posts
I still have a couple of those engines on the shelf along with xcr800s that Im hoarding.
I actually thought with the right porting it FELT stronger than the ves 800 but never ran it on a dyno or anything
For a non ves 800 motor it is stronger with the proper porting, and head work to run pump gas. We dynoed several our guy built back in the day. I think 160 was ballpark, or a little more. We use to refer to them as trail trenchers. I followed a guy on a trip that had one...it was like going through a sand wash after every turn. Bigger issue those sleds needed a larger fuel tank....too much fun.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts