Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Skidoo as well as this site.

I recently purchased a 1998 MXZ 500 with 1800 miles. I put on about 200 miles and I had a problem with antifreeze leaking out of the base gasket on the clutch side jug. I decided to replace the pistons and rings while I had the motor apart. I put it all back together and rode for about 150 miles and I have the same problem with the same jug. I used a gasket set I purchased from Dennis Kirk. Is the Skidoo gasket a better quality gasket then the aftermarket ones? Is this normal for this engine? Should I be using some sort of gasket sealer on the gasket when I install it? Is it ok to cut the base gasket in half and do one cylinder at a time?

Is there anyone with knowledge in this area? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there 'geek,
I am of the school that you do what you gotta do. If you want to cut the base gasket in half (I assume so you don't have to pull the other cylinder), then do it.
My main concern would be both proper torque and torque pattern for that cylinder, but since it's happening again, I would suspect either a warped surface on the base of the cylinder, hair-line crack in the cylinder or perhaps the wrong gasket (are you certain of the model year?). If all seems OK, then I'd think you can add some RTV to the gasket or get a thicker base gasket.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Ed,

Thanks for the advice. I did a little research and talked to a few Skidoo owners. I suspect that I have a pressure problem with the cooling system. This makes sense to me because when I purchased the sled the radiator cap was only part way tight. It was on the first notch so when I checked the sled over I tightened it to the second notch like it should be tightened. I ordered the original gasket from the local skidoo dealer and I am going to put sealer on for good measure. I am replacing both the radiator cap and thermostat. I don't want to take this thing back apart again. I want to spend sometime riding.

Everyone I talk to that has owned one of these gems has nothing but good things to say about the toughness. I will let you know what happens in the next couple weeks after I get it back together and put a few miles on it.

Thanks for the advice,

Brad

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Guys,

I put the engine back together using an aviation paint on type gasket. This stuff was to sticky I could hardly get it off my hands. I took it on about a 60 mile trip and by the time I got back I noticed the gasket was starting to rip. I am not sure if the problem it the mating surface on the case or the jug. Obviously there is something wrong. It leaks it the same place again.

Anyone know how far can you plain the case before you start having problems with the piston hitting the head? Is there different thicknesses of gaskets you can get to make of for shaving the case?

Brad

·
Registered
49 Posts
We had a similar problem with my buddies 98 mach z. Found out that the case was warped. Ended up doubling up the base gasket along with using a liquid gasket sealer. Let it cure in a heated garage for a couple days and were good to go. :beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.