Hardcore Sledder banner

1998 Grand Touring 700 Triple

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  tazdies 
#1 · (Edited)
Just picked up one of these for next to nothing . Starts right up and has great compression. (130psi all 3) Low miles (1100). Reverse works . Track is nice. Seems the Guy just wanted it gone its been neglected. Spent the weekend cleaning it up and waxing her. Thing was covered in dust, dirt, leaves & grime from sitting in a barn. Cleaning up nice tho. It NEEDS the carbs gone thru for sure it runs very poorly.
Besides normal Sled maintenance and all the issues these older Triples seem to have electrical wise (Looks like the wiring loom recall under motor was preformed and CDI is located under very front of motor/exhaust) but all wires look to be in good shape. I know these CDI’s are hard to find if they go bad.....But is there anything else to look for on these old beasts? Any advice on the Carbs besides the normal routine?
Thanks Guys

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
So I am fouling my #1 cylinder spark plug constantly. Throw a new plug in it and after a little bit fouls it out. #2 & #3 burn clean. #1 is always black and wet .
Check spark and looks weak compared to #2 and #3. I have swapped around carbs and coils and no difference. Still #1.
I am thinking stator ? I found a manual so I am going to attempt to follow it and test the ignition system with my meter.
Any other ideas or something I am missing?

edit: Checked electrical system and all seems good/equal now . stator does lights/heat only aparently and instead CDI gets power from battery which then powers MEPM.
aparently these GT 700s have a differnt ignition setup then the others (360w vs 290w)
CDI, Ignition module , Coils all ck out ok .spark seems good . unbolted engine and moved wire harness and MEPM from under motor to uptop for recall actually wasnt ever done . fixed all chaffed/coroded looking wires ...hope this helps.

#7 ·
Looking to replace the needle and seats. BRP wants $47 each.
I can order directly from Mikuni for $17
Just not sure if I need VM28/163 or VM28/511???
Both say they fit my application. Anybody know the difference?
Says Viton tip for the 511 maybe its that and both work?