Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I hope I got this posted in the right section, just joined last night so have the noob syndrome, please bear with me. I started snowmobiling for the first time on trails this year when I bought a 2001 polaris xc sp 600 with a trail permit for 1300 bucks, couldnt let that deal go. However, My wife wanted to try trail riding too. So she took my sled out on the trails for a few hours. Well she loved it too and wanted her own. Now here comes my rather convoluted questions for you seasoned pro's.

So we looked around for a sled, not knowing the differences between makes and models etc. She just wanted a cheap reliable sled for a few hours trail riding a week. So I managed to find a 98 formula 3 700 for 1200 canadian including permit. It belonged to a rather anal guy who pampered the thing since he owned it. It has 8000 km on it and he has done preventative maintenance to include replacing the center piston and two outer piston rings. Having raced motocross many years ago, I understand the philosophy behind this, so that was ok. However, I hav a few questions.

1, This thing is heavy, man is it heavy to steer on trails. Having rode my 600 which will turn on a dime, this 700 needs a lot of space to turn. I was wondering if there was anyway to replace the carbides so that its more responsive to turning. I need this in laymans terms as when I googled replacing carbides, i've no clue what they are refering to about sizes, inners and outers. I just know that I do have carbides.

2, My wife loves this sled, ever since she sat on it she said it was so comfortable. We have a 96 panther that she uses on the farm, so its not like she's new to sleds. However she complains endlessly about the throttle lever. Her thumb is about done after a couple of hours and we have to swap sleds. Is there any way of reducing the pull of the cable or an aftermarket lever that is not so stiff.

3, When we bought the sled, the ignition switch was disconnected. The guy we bought it off had replaced it twice with original switch. He did say that it was a common fault with these models and gave me the other two that he had replaced. Is there a solution to this problem. When we trail ride we often stop for lunch, but I kinda panic as its left keyless.

4, I read about the crank bearings and that they run dry from oil. I asked the previous owner about it and he didnt know anything. Its always been run with good quality synthetic oil and has never been a problem that he was aware of. Should I be concerned? I read that there is an aftermarket oiler that you can add to the crank, should I consider this, or wouldnt it warrant the the sleds useage time.

5, Is there anything else that we should be aware of. The last thing I want is to head out and something die.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your info

·
Registered
10 Posts
Being the 98 model there were quite many recalls on them. I have a sled very close to this one (98mach1) and i can relate to all the problems above. The oil hole mod was the most involving of the problems but is well worth the effort because the crank will most often fail before 2k miles if left as is. There is no aftermarket oiler for the 98 sadly. Only the 99 and up have a isoflex grease port. For the electric problems, the key switch is not something that is brought up very often as a problem so i was surprised to hear it failed on your sled. The main electrical problem was the cdi box placement under the motor making wire chaffing a real problem. It is actually quite a pain to remove and relocate without removing the engine. For helping the sled turn there are a few options, from the limiter strap on the front arm, or the front shock preload. There is not much you can do about the throttle return spring being hard on your thumb after a while. Hope you have great winter!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I had a 98 Mach 1 and loved it for trail riding or driving slower with the family. But it was terrible in the Big bumps or trying to ditch bang. Nt a sled for that.
As for the throttle tension take out 2 1/2 coils out of each carb spring. Way better!!! And will be safe too. Had no issues after I did this!
I also put on 7000 miles with no engine issues. You really need to let it warm up totally before you get on it! Then giver hell! Cold starts kill this engine and running it with a fouled plug can damage bearings. Just have a ear for it and pay attention.
My main issue like others was the CDI box and stator problems. It would just turn off.....wait awhile....run fine....turn off....etc..
So I upgraded then. I miss the power and trusted the sled after I went through it. Time to move on tho.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts