Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy Moly, I havent been on this fourm for a while because I have been too busy riding the pants off my ZR 440. If you remember, earlier this year Ive had some big problems with the machine with the clutch self destructing and the odd problem of it running on one cylinder for some odd reason which knocked me out of riding the good old ZR 440 for about 6 weeks (had to ride the old man's 98 ZR 500, He took the 89 Yamaha Ovation :lol: ). One thing I did notice about riding the ZR 500 often this season is that the 500 is MUCH rougher riding then the 440. I have no idea why its so much rougher and louder then the 440 since they are pretty much the same machines when it all comes down to it. That ZR 500 goes like a bat out of hell though! :D Anyways, The ZR 440 has been back for a while now after getting it all patched up and got it runnin on 2 again and man the thing runs so great with the new clutches and stuff, its really a blast to ride!! I did miss alot of riding and the season is winding to an end but I think we might get a few more weeks of riding here in Western Massachusetts since up here in the hilltowns we still have over 3 feet of snow! :) Oh yeah and I must say thanks to the people who offered their advice and knowledge to me when I came on this fourm with my problems a few months ago, I really appreciated it.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Glad to see you are up and running. That zr 440 is a nice machine. I remember when they came out
and they were the dominant sled. polaris was there major adversary at that time.there is still snow in nh also.I just got back from pittsburg nh. Great riding !!
have fun riding Jim :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, in 97 the ZR 440 was faced with some fierce compition from both Ski Doo and Polaris. The MXZ 440LC and the new XCR 440 both had new variable exhaust engines that were very powerful. My 97 ZR 440 without the variable exhaust still hauls some serious ass for a 440, but the XCR and MXZ are probably a hair more powerful. The thing that made the ZR 440 dominent was definatly the suspension and the chassies. The 97 ZR 440 was the first year of the AWS V aluminum front end and the suspension was light years ahead of ski doos and polaris' trailing arm set ups! Back in that time in the national snocross (it wasnt called WSA back then, I forget what it was called) Captain Kirk Hibbert teamed up on the 97 ZR 440 made him a force to be reckoned with, and at the end of the season Blair Morgan made his apperence on the snowcross scene on the 97 ZR 440 and amazed the crowds by pulling insane tricks like the cancan and superman. He only rode two national races that season but by his amazing performances he was named rookie of the year. The ZR 440 definatly was a racing legend back then, as it still is today!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts