Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tricks to pull the fly wheel off bought a good puller it bent and broke the bolts off i must be doing something wrong.

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
1,645 Posts
If you are using a steering wheel puller, than thats your problem. I used one for years with hit and miss results. I finally bought a actuall flywheel puller 3 years ago. I wish i had one all the years i been doing mechanical work. Flywheels pop so easy now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are using a steering wheel puller, than thats your problem. I used one for years with hit and miss results. I finally bought a actuall flywheel puller 3 years ago. I wish i had one all the years i been doing mechanical work. Flywheels pop so easy now.
i don't know what brand it is but its a 6 bolt puller

·
Premium Member
18,196 Posts
It often takes a few hits on the bolt head of the puller to help vibrate the flywheel loose regardless of what puller you use. I use a 1200 ft lb electric impact wrench. A little heat from an electric heat gun can also help. And, drilling out only three bolt holes in a six bolt hole setup will not affect balance if every other hole is drilled out. If there are three unused bolt holes and you have a good flywheel to replace it, just use the other three bolt holes for the puller and don't bother drilling the other three
Do not thread the puller bolts in too far as they can damage the stator if not already done. Try to find grade 8 bolts that are the correct length when puller is tight against flywheel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts