Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to install fuel line into tank with the grommet seal. I have removed it and in doing so the in tank line pulled off. I noticed several short sections of smaller diameter hose that disintegrated when I grabbed them, also lots rusty looking sediment. I am now going to remove seat and tank to drain and clean, and hopefully find tank filter, I plan on installing an in line filter to prevent debris from entering the carbs.Cleaned carbs yesterday and found plenty of rusty looking debris clogging the fuel inlets. This was good news to me as it may explain why the machine would not run properly on test run.
Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
You do need to remove and clean the tank. There is more involved than just removing the seat though. The cowling over the tank also has to come off along with the handle bars.
You will want to remove the fuel level sending unit so it doesn't get damaged when you clean the tank.
With that much rust present I'd replace the in tank filter along with the fuel line between the filter and the plastic insert which fits into the grommet. I would also replace the grommet with a new OEM part from your dealer. They are still available.
Lynn

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry, I didn't answer your original question.
Slide the new grommet onto the new in tank hose. Install the new filter. Insert the plastic connector into the tank hose. Insert the tank hose and filter into the tank and put the grommet into the tank. Now slide the plastic connector firmly into the grommet which will expand the grommet and seal it to the tank and connector. A drop or two of injection oil on the connector where it fits into the grommet will aid in getting the connector properly into place.
Now attach the line leading to the fuel pump.
With the fuel issues you have had I'd remove the fuel pump, disassemble it and give it a thorough cleaning. Rebuild kits are readily available and reasonably priced. It doesn't take much dirt or rust to hold one of those little check valves open causing all kinds of problems.
New fuel lines from the pump to the carbs will complete the cleaning.
Lynn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts