Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Hoping someone has a primary/secondary clutch diagram showing the spacing for a 97 Fomula III 600. Looking for the measurements to ball park an engine mount.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I've seen this one on the net, it's for a 99 , in the thread they seem to think the 98 and below was different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
18,487 Posts
Thanks, I've seen this one on the net, it's for a 99 , in the thread they seem to think the 98 and below was different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've installed numerous 2-stroke engines into various sleds never intended for the engine.

Pick the belt you want to use. Try to use one from that model if possible so it fits the width and sheave angles designed into the clutches.

Then, move the engine fore/aft until it gives you the proper belt deflection. Try to use a clutch alignment tool designed for that BELT, (not sled model) to get the proper offset. Offset is simply the required misalignment needed to accommodate the belt width and position in both clutches throughout the shift range so the belt isn't cocked sideways in either clutch. Offset specs will vary with different belt widths.

My old Rec Leisure catalog says that sled used a Skidoo belt #414-9182-00. There is no aftermarket alternative listed. This belt was used on several 96-97 Skidoos.

If it was me, I'd pick a belt from a more common Skidoo that would fit but have aftermarket belts available also. The 99 FIII 600 used a 417-3000-66 for example. There is a Ultimax 138-5120 listed as a replacement. Use the c-c from that sled if possible, but, don't worry too much about center to center spec as it can be set where ever you want it for the belt you decide to use.:bc:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've installed numerous 2-stroke engines into various sleds never intended for the engine.

Pick the belt you want to use. Try to use one from that model if possible so it fits the width and sheave angles designed into the clutches.

Then, move the engine fore/aft until it gives you the proper belt deflection. Try to use a clutch alignment tool designed for that BELT, (not sled model) to get the proper offset. Offset is simply the required misalignment needed to accommodate the belt width and position in both clutches throughout the shift range so the belt isn't cocked sideways in either clutch. Offset specs will vary with different belt widths.

My old Rec Leisure catalog says that sled used a Skidoo belt #414-9182-00. There is no aftermarket alternative listed. This belt was used on several 96-97 Skidoos.

If it was me, I'd pick a belt from a more common Skidoo that would fit but have aftermarket belts available also. The 99 FIII 600 used a 417-3000-66 for example. There is a Ultimax 138-5120 listed as a replacement. Use the c-c from that sled if possible, but, don't worry too much about center to center spec as it can be set where ever you want it for the belt you decide to use.:bc:
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't like the belt I have that was meant for the skidoo primary/secondary, it wasn't long enough (clutches to close together) as I have moved the motor higher than the stock mounting which in turn shortened the spacing. The motor is out of a FIII, but going into a Frankenstein machine I am building, I currently have a arctic cat secondary and skidoo primary. I was going to have the jack shaft turned down on a lathe to allow the skidoo secondary to fit the cat jack shaft, but I had a friend over the other day and he was pretty confident I can run the cat secondary and skidoo primary as the belts from both seem to be very very close. Any luck with mixed driveline parts in the past? I have another post in the general forum board with pics and info of build ( under side by side sleds)if your a bit lost on what I am doing.

Thanks again for the input so far.

·
Premium Member
18,487 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't like the belt I have that was meant for the skidoo primary/secondary, it wasn't long enough (clutches to close together) as I have moved the motor higher than the stock mounting which in turn shortened the spacing. The motor is out of a FIII, but going into a Frankenstein machine I am building, I currently have a arctic cat secondary and skidoo primary. I was going to have the jack shaft turned down on a lathe to allow the skidoo secondary to fit the cat jack shaft, but I had a friend over the other day and he was pretty confident I can run the cat secondary and skidoo primary as the belts from both seem to be very very close. Any luck with mixed driveline parts in the past? I have another post in the general forum board with pics and info of build ( under side by side sleds)if your a bit lost on what I am doing.

Thanks again for the input so far.
Shouldn't be a big problem. Some retuning of primary and secondary may be needed to get to ideal rpm at WOT and not slip the belt or grip it too hard. Obtain a Aaen clutching book to assist.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sorry guys I never updated after I actually followed through on something lol. I ended up getting the jack shaft turned down, so now it is running the stock FIII clutches. Got an alignment tool and everything's set and tacked together for now.

Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts