Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Polaris Pro S 800
902 Posts
I love the teal 97s. I had a sks version. Was a sharp sled...keep that one around, i wish i didnt sell mine

·
Registered
Decker Race ported 96 Ultra SP drag build
149 Posts
They aren't that problematic. The oil bath pumps are the better design too. The 97-03 pumps suck and need rebuild every ~4k miles. I've had multiple 96 pumps with over 6k... Yearly maintenance people...

Anywho, seems the few folks with negative opinions helped you make up your mind. I won't try to convince you otherwise. But at $1500 CAD you couldn't go wrong...

·
Premium Member
40,174 Posts
They aren't that problematic. The oil bath pumps are the better design too. The 97-03 pumps suck and need rebuild every ~4k miles. I've had multiple 96 pumps with over 6k... Yearly maintenance people...

Anywho, seems the few folks with negative opinions helped you make up your mind. I won't try to convince you otherwise. But at $1500 CAD you couldn't go wrong...
They stopped doing the oil bath pumps after 1 year as the crank seals holding the oil in place were failing on many sleds and you have to purchase the whole crank segment to repair it, that crank segment is $805 plus the labor of installing it.

·
Registered
47,343 Posts

I had nearly 4500 miles on my 96 ultra before trading to the next year up xc 600. Change the pumps oil each season, they seem to hold up ok.

·
Registered
497 Posts
i have a 1996 ultra rmk and it has a spx motor and its MINT i got psi mod blasters, tuning was super super straight forward, and the water pumps can be rebuild so parts are not a issue there is multiple people on facebook who do it for like a 100 bucks, ive put a thousand miles on with my psi mod blasters and no issues yet holding her WOT for miles, and ive heard the 96 pumps are actually better but i technically have a 97-03 and i havent had a issue either way, on the ultra group on facebook there is alot of smart guys who can get you ultra going in a few mins lol, one of them being jason marta he basically walked me through my entire sled and she is now a certified ripper,(and for piping a ultra just start with stock ultra spx jetting and it should be almost spot on) mine was still rich with spx jetting tho, all i changed was my needle jet to a p-8 instead of q-2)

·
Registered
497 Posts
i have a 1996 ultra rmk and it has a spx motor and its MINT i got psi mod blasters, tuning was super super straight forward, and the water pumps can be rebuild so parts are not a issue there is multiple people on facebook who do it for like a 100 bucks, ive put a thousand miles on with my psi mod blasters and no issues yet holding her WOT for miles, and ive heard the 96 pumps are actually better but i technically have a 97-03 and i havent had a issue either way, on the ultra group on facebook there is alot of smart guys who can get you ultra going in a few mins lol, one of them being jason marta he basically walked me through my entire sled and she is now a certified ripper,(and for piping a ultra just start with stock ultra spx jetting and it should be almost spot on) mine was still rich with spx jetting tho, all i changed was my needle jet to a p-8 instead of q-2)
oh and my clutching is 10-54 weights EPI silver, r9 helix with a blue oem polaris spring 2nd hole, i do think i need 10-56 weights but that will come next year. im like 200 rpm over where i want to be

·
Registered
149 Posts
i have a mint set of ultra high rpm pipes for sale. SLP no dents, rust, etc, you won't find a better set.
There are better performing, but if they're absolutely mint, original period correct pipes... You may be onto something if you're talking condition alone. But then again "best" comes down to use 😜

·
Registered
497 Posts
There are better performing, but if they're absolutely mint, original period correct pipes... You may be onto something if you're talking condition alone. But then again "best" comes down to use 😜
supposedly deckers and mod blasters are the best in terms of over all horse power, i love my mod blasters but they are way to damn loud, sounds sick tho lol

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
2,086 Posts
supposedly deckers and mod blasters are the best in terms of over all horse power, i love my mod blasters but they are way to damn loud, sounds sick tho lol
hey bud. can you upload a video of it running. this is Dave the guy that was with Harold the day you bought it. show some photos, it would be cool to see what you done to it. do you still have that sweet seat on it Harold made?

·
Registered
47,343 Posts
I guess it depends what rpm you turn as far as the pipes hp numbers. The dynoports i had on my sled smoke alot of other manufacture pipes on the ultra. I ran guys with slp, and aaen triple pipes...wasn't even close. Even ran against a 800 zrt that wasn't stock...no contest, my sled would just pull away on top.

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,017 Posts
At this point, considering the vintage aspect of the sled I wouldn't go with anything less than the 9200 RPM pipes. A stock 850 makes more power so just go for the sweet noise of a triple at 9000+ RPM!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Those were highly sought after bottom ends back in the day by after market open mod engine builders...They were high volume crankcases, thus the major increase in hp when adding triple pipes...Theres a racer in Mn that used that crankcase, and added 3-670 rotax jugs on it for a 1005...Still holds that class speed record in NSSR for years at somewhere near 160 mph in 1000'...

·
Registered
149 Posts
It depends what rpm you turn as far as the pipes hp numbers.
Precisely. But it's the power band that you clutch for. Spin those Dyno Ports to 9,000-9,200 like the Deckers and you effectively, and very efficiently, kill horsepower... Port timing plays a part too. But stock cylinders, port timing is a negligible argument when it comes to comparing pipes...

Hands down, Deckers pull the hardest, all else aside from tuning differences the same... Back to back tests have proven that fact 😎 But I digress, to each ones own 🤙 I've owned, and tuned 3 sets of 680 pipes, and a buddy of mine has done similar testing.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts