Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found one of these on classifieds. should i or not ..

whats the good , the bad , the ugly to look out for with these?cranks ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the price is reasonable I'd say Give 'er!
Todd Clyne on YouTube is quite fluent with the polaris triples and has many videos on ultras.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk
2000 cad obo.

thinking id trade my 05 rmk straight up possibly or offer 1500 for the ultra and keep my edge too.

pics i posted are cellphone pics of computer pics so really shitty quality.thing looks pretty dam clean.

i dont like seeing those stupid dam pods though.

·
Premium Member
19,530 Posts
I owned a 96 Ultra from new. They had a few major issues.
1. Waterpumps were oil bath. Oil would eventually leak out and destroy big drive gear. Hard to find parts nowadays.
2. They had too much spark timing for triple pipes in many cases.
3. Carbs were hard to get right for triple pipes.
4. Carbs were vented to the handlebars. Not to the airbox like later years.
5. They would destroy drivebelts because jackshaft wasn't properly supported. Bearing spacer kit was an update.
6. They used the weaker Linkbelt drive chain and sprockets.

They were low hp when using a single 3-1 pipe. Triples added 25-35+ hp
97 or newer were better year.

·
Registered
47,322 Posts
My 96 ulta ran flawless with dynoport pipes. Then again i only had for 2 seasons. I've heard many complaints as this when they got older. As far as triples go, seemed every polaris except this one i had, had bigger issues. When a triple when down it was always two cylinder never just one. 95 was a tough year when putting triple pipes on my xcr 600...when all said, and done, i ended up with the head chef award.

·
Registered
47,322 Posts
Those early liberty 700 twins with the one piece head were potent motors vs the later ones. We dynoed a similar one that our engine builder did that was blueprinted, and carbs jetted, it made nearly 125 hp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those early liberty 700 twins with the one piece head were potent motors vs the later ones. We dynoed a similar one that our engine builder did that was blueprinted, and carbs jetted, it made nearly 125 hp.
That’s what it sounds like I’ve had many people on Facebook tell me they want my engine. I guess it’s worth the investment to put in new pistons and freshen it up…

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800 129", 2019 Indy 850 129", 2011 IQ Turbo 121"
3,067 Posts
That’s what it sounds like I’ve had many people on Facebook tell me they want my engine. I guess it’s worth the investment to put in new pistons and freshen it up…
Those were good engines, but best have a look at the bottom end as well - PTO end bearing issues were somewhat common in the 700s.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts