Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 XCR 600 and I can’t seem to get fuel to the carbs. Gas level might be too low but I’m here wondering if there is supposed to be one of those one way fuel valves inside the tank on the pickup tube? Any help with the one way valves would be amazing!

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Make sure it’s not empty and then make sure the pick up hose in tank isn’t rotted off. Not letting it get to the fuel. Ck to see if pulse line to fuel pump is attached to case nipple. Ck to see if fuel is making it to pump from tank . Make sure fuel is coming out if pump. That’s where I would start. Although I might work backwards on that. Until I find fuel. Let us know heya you find and we can go further from there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! I am just not getting fuel from the tank to the fuel pump. I get fuel from the fuel pump to the carbs. I unplugged the line that goes to the fuel pump (since it’s split between the pickup because of a filter) and filled it with fuel. When it is running I can get the fuel to be pumped from the line to the carbs. I have already filled each carb bowl and let it run on that, and fuel pump still pumps. Pickup line is there still, but should there be a one way valve on it? The one way valve was on my 1975 ski doo because without it the fuel would drain out of the lines when it was finished running. I still might try to buy a longer pickup tube just to make sure that it is correct and I think I’ll fill the tank to the top. Since it was summer, the PO had drained most of the fuel out

·
Registered
45,560 Posts
Try using some very low pressure to pressurize the fuel tank, or if your able to blow through the filler neck. Make sure the fuel shutoff valve is on. This should get the fuel up to the carbs and fill them. If not you might have the pickup line in the tank rotted off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I’ve tried the ole rag and air compressor because the fumes of the gas made me feel soooo lightheaded lol. Still won’t go out. I’ll try filling the tank with gas and then filling the carb bowls so it’ll run and pump. That should give me my answers. Found a 20 foot 1/4inch hose section at lowes for 7 bucks. I know for a fact the old one isn’t rotted off, but I think it is a little short. One way fuel valve or no?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks! didn’t think so wasn’t sure since it’s newer
i had this issue last year and covering the fill whole on the tank and blowing into the breather tube for about 30 seconds fixed it for me, but your pilots could be clogged, along with your fuel pump might be bad, open it up and see if any of the gaskets/diaphragms are ripped

·
Registered
446 Posts
i had this issue last year and covering the fill whole on the tank and blowing into the breather tube for about 30 seconds fixed it for me, but your pilots could be clogged, along with your fuel pump might be bad, open it up and see if any of the gaskets/diaphragms are ripped
oh and mark the fuel pump with a marker before you disassemble it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Happy thanksgiving! Carbs are not clogged at all as I checked on them already. Fuel pump will pump fuel when I fill the supply line by hand with a funnel and that’s when I can get the fuel to the carbs. Side note… any other advice on these polaris 600s?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Happy thanksgiving! Carbs are not clogged at all as I checked on them already. Fuel pump will pump fuel when I fill the supply line by hand with a funnel and that’s when I can get the fuel to the carbs. Side note… any other advice on these polaris 600s?
happy thanksgiving, yea to me it sounds like your fuel pump is weak gotta open her up and see what it looks like but ive never had a fuel pump go bad so idk, but yea it depends if its a monoblock or case reed. if its a monoblock keep it stock do some clutching and it will just run, if its the case reed 600 triple id throw some aftermarket pipes on it they are pretty fast, im currently running a ultra now with mod blasters and those are basically the same engine

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive wheel system

Odometer Vehicle Speedometer Gauge Tachometer

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Tire

happy thanksgiving, yea to me it sounds like your fuel pump is weak gotta open her up and see what it looks like but ive never had a fuel pump go bad so idk, but yea it depends if its a monoblock or case reed. if its a monoblock keep it stock do some clutching and it will just run, if its the case reed 600 triple id throw some aftermarket pipes on it they are pretty fast, im currently running a ultra now with mod blasters and those are basically the same engine
I’m pretty sure it’s an XLT and not the monoblock. I do know it has reeds and I know it has the IFS suspension but they might all have that lol. But pipes…. I thought the pipes on it were pretty nice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
39,367 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I ride dirt bikes, new to the sled game. So what upgrades for it? Known issues for a 96?
96 had lots of recall bulletins hopefully they've all been done a long time ago.
The 96 had crank seals on a crank segment to keep the water pump oil in place, those seals wear out and cannot be replaced, a new crankshaft segment must be purchased and then the crank has to be disassembled/reassembled and crank degreed. Crankshaft Part number is 3085253 which is no longer available from Polaris.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts